Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wobbling gear stick. Short sifter options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbling gear stick. Short sifter options?

Hello,

i have wobbling gear stick problem. Gear stick dosent hold tight in his place anymore. Is there some kind of DIY short sifter i can make? I think this wobbling gear stick can make troubles to hit in gears smoothly.
    I have heard that some one have made new gear stick with VW parts?
    I have 01A gearbox.

Installation:

https://store.034motorsport.com/blog...r-installation

Part:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221195335145

I used the above part, but inside the original bracket, and the original ball, made everything much tighter but without making it a short shift, which I wasn't that keen on having.

Just had to remove the old socket with a blow lamp (it is bonded in rubber) and push the new socket into place. To do this you separate the two halves of the bracket, I pop riveted it back together afterwards.

Hope that helps!

Peter.

Comment

Thanks Bowie! After that the stick was tight only or you saw better gear changes also?

I know some VW parts where 100% bolt on. It would be super easy. What did you mean. Old socket- you mean this metal plate part? And whats pop rivete?

Comment

Old socket is the bit that goes around the ball, in the old mechanism it is bonded into the top half of the bracket, in the top hat of you see what I mean? You do this after drilling out the spot welds and separating the two halves.

Shifting is way better, in fact I am having to get used to not storing a bag of marshmallows again, reckon mine has been broken for at least 5 years. Less weeble wobble all round.

You can use the above VW part and enlarge the holes and bolt it in for a shorter shift, but it all seemed a bit of a bodge when I got in there the stock shifter is very much better designed with rubber bumpers and the like, and far more robust, so moving away from all that seemed like a down grade.

Comment

Oh, and this is a pop rivet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJqCtSrad0

Comment

Thank you for explaining. It seems that your plate is like 034 plate:
            https://store.034motorsport.com/01a-...e-quattro.html

I also found that they sell new ball also. Then i dont need you VW socket? This ball is the problem one always?
            https://aeromotors.ee/kataloog/search/893711118E

Comment

The socket on mine had fallen apart completely.

Yes, it is the same as the 034, my method means it is without the chance of it being in the wrong place and gear changes not being right!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                The socket on mine had fallen apart completely.

Yes, it is the same as the 034, my method means it is without the chance of it being in the wrong place and gear changes not being right!
                Some differences must be as 034 says its short sifter style.
                I taked apart today gearstick. All looks Ok. So it must be normal wear. I pushed between socket and ball holder speakers wire. It pushed back a little socket but still Not Good.
                Attached Files

Comment

Same part, but it's short shift only when in VW bracket, moving it to my original bracket makes it higher up = normal shift.

You're is in better nick than mine, but still not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                    Same part, but it's short shift only when in VW bracket, moving it to my original bracket makes it higher up = normal shift.

You're is in better nick than mine, but still not great.
                    VW Bracket dont go to car, thats why you separated VW one? Or it will go but you didind want short sifter?

Comment

Originally posted by ristokru

Or it will go but you didn’t want short sifter?
                      This

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

It will fit, you need to open the holes out to go over the larger bolts. But yes, it will fit and work.

I didn't particularly want a short shifter, so I disassembled and mix-and matched the parts to make it work as it should.

Comment

Working...
                        X