Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre diff play and gearbox weight

Alright gents.

My S2 is a 3B model with a 5 speed box. I'm wondering what the ABY 6 speed gearbox feels like weight wise, compared to the 5 speed, with both running single mass flywheel.

Is the extra weight of the 6 speed noticeable, like carrying an extra passenger perhaps.

Also, how does the play in the 6 speed centre diff compare to the 5 speed. My 5 speed has lots of play which certainly doesn't help driveline shunt!

What would be a good 6 speed gearbox to fit that has a lot less play in the centre diff?

Cheers
    Gordon

5spd box is 48kg, in case that helps?

Comment

Ah right sound, didn't think it was as light as that. Interesting.

Comment

Wow, i thought it was way way more than that
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Is heavy when lying on your back, bench pressing it in

Comment

I've never driven an ABY, does it feel obvious that your carrying the extra weight of the 6 speed box, or does the 3B feel more nimble?

Comment

Dont know how heavy the 6speed box is but after 5th attempt to put it back in place on your back and car on stands it feels like 100kg or more (I know -useless info-sorry)

Comment

I know that pain well, still with me 10 years later

Comment

Years ago I was told by an older, (i.e. my age and now unfortunately he has retired) trusted Audi dealer mechanic, who did my alignments for many years, that my Cq 5-spd drive-line shunt was strictly internal to the drive-train and characteristic of these high mileage older quattros, however to my surprise and satisfaction it has now almost entirely vanished after attention to the snub, xmsn mounts, rear diff mounts x 3; and A-rm bushes restrained by Arm-Stops.

Taking the 5th...

Wanted, Peer Review...

Anyhow, all the above is way cheaper/faster than a Gbx swap; and somewhat lighter.

Hth
                  Last edited by Lago Blue; 15 November 2018, 18:59.

Comment

6 speed gearbox is around 80kg

Comment

Interesting information regarding the snub mount. I have replaced every mounting on the car, including changing the factory snub mount bracket to a more cup shape design. Better than standard but maybe not as good as this other type. I'm intrigued, have many others changed to this type of snub mount?

So about 30kg difference in 5 speed to 6 speed. Does the 6 speed have a similar amount of free play in the centre diff?

I prefer a 6 speed gearbox gearing to the 5 speed, so a change may very well be on the cards?

Comment

I thought 5 speed 01A was about 60kg. 6 speed 01E is 78kg and it is pretty accurate figure.

Comment

Apologies, I misremembered, it is 78kg.
                          https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/83176...comment-922480

Last image in that thread.

Comment

There is 6-speed 01E on that photo. Should be from 2.5TDi.

Comment

i liked the 5 speed gearbox and the 3rd gear is realy good on them. changing a gearbox is kinda expensive with all the parts involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X