Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft U-joint question

Hi guys,

Rebuilding the propshaft from an RS2, and the U-joint in the middle has no play and moves smooth, but it clicks in the straight ahead position (on both axis).

Is this a normal function?

Thanks!

Steve

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Here is a video. Can't be normal so probably need to have the joints replaced.

https://youtu.be/oPRiWVW-qnw

No clips but punched, so no easy task probably.
    anyone has the correct part numbers or sizes for these u-joint bearings?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Avantus; 19 May 2019, 20:35.

Comment

If you search against me i had the size and part numbers on a thread last summer. Definitely shouldn't be clicking but getting that apart could be fun
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks, I looked those up, but those gkn 12111 or u471 dimensions seem to be different then on an RS2. I quickly measured the diameter of a u joint bearing and I got about 23.8mm. Total diameter of the X is also only around 65mm max ( would need to remove to check exactly)

Comment

Got the joint apart and measured it up.

It is 23.8mm and the X is 70mm... ofcourse a size that isn't available by gkn

Comment

I got these part numbers from the shop for the staked in u-joint for my 1994 URS4 driveshaft.

Mercedes 902010
            Spicer K5-A657
            GMB TU-297

I see you smashed the **** out of the ear to get that thing apart. Best way is to just put a lever on the bolt and back it out, comes off so easy compared to hitting the ear you wouldn't believe it.

Maybe talk to a shop about whether the shaft needs to be balanced after changing the u-joint.

Any good shop can source the u-joint required, stake in a new one, and balance.

Last edited by vag_noob; 19 June 2019, 08:24.

Comment

Working...
            X