Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhauled propshaft installation orientation

Alright chaps,

As per the title I'm looking to fit my overhauled propshaft tomorrow. It's got new 2 new CV joints, boots, centre bearing, UJ and it's been balanced.

What's the deal with refitting this, I've had this prop on and off a few times over the last year chasing a vibration so any orientation marks that were on it are no longer valid.

Should the propshaft fit straight on and be vibration free, as in not have to alter the orientation of the CV flanges? I'll get it sitting straight but having to disconnect the CV flanges numerous times on both ends is a pain I can be doing without!! My driver side front jacking point is looking a bit worse for wear with the amount of times I've had it on and off axle stands lately so hoping just to fit the propshaft once and be done with it.

Any advice on this one?

Thanks
    Gordon

If it's balanced, it should be balanced and not matter which way round it goes on the flanges it bolts to. Diff and gearbox flanges are machined round and im sure there is more imbalance in the grease youve put in the boots compared to the flange itself.

The factory instructions on alignment do say that it can cause vibrations if not set properly but thats down to the alignment of the middle joint rather than each end. There are shims to add or remove from between the centre bearing and bodyshell to get it right

Comment

The factory manual for my B5 S4 state that the flanges should be checked with a clock gauge and the high point set at the opposite side to the paint marking on the CV joints. However I wasn't sure if that's the same for the S2, or if the propshaft will even return with paint marks on it. If the S2 manual doesn't state that the CV flanges need orientating in a certain way then that's good enough for me!!!

Comment

I had my prop balanced a few weeks back and it came back beautifully painted with fresh paint, any marks will likely be long gone. Note, last two pics are the wrong way round
        ​​​
        ​​​
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

If you didn't mark it before removal, I'd just refit it any old way. I did mine on my 20v saloon nearly 10 years ago after getting a new bearing and it's been fine
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
            I had my prop balanced a few weeks back and it came back beautifully painted with fresh paint, any marks will likely be long gone. Note, last two pics are the wrong way round
            ​​​
            ​​​
            Nice one, cheers for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
              If you didn't mark it before removal, I'd just refit it any old way. I did mine on my 20v saloon nearly 10 years ago after getting a new bearing and it's been fine
              Fingers crossed my mystery vibration will have disappeared. One thing I will say is after replacing the rear outer and inner CV joints, as well as a diff from a 20V with very little movement in the output flanges, it has decreased the drivetrain shunt by a good bit. It was instantly noticeable when I took it for a test drive a few months back, with a bit of luck the overhauled propshaft will improve things further.

Comment

Also I totally forgot to order some CV gaskets, I've read people have fitted these with no gaskets and no grease has flung out so hoping that's the case for me. I chucked the olds ones away so just going for face to face installation.

Comment

Re gaskets - Make some from a piece of rubber! If you can wait for ebay to deliver a sheet of 1mm nitrile rubber sheet, you can quite easily make your own. I did exactly that when i fitted my spare diff, i didnt even think about ordering the actual gasket, id written that off as them NLA or unobtainable just because.

Hole punch for the holes, a scalpel and its not a long job.

Comment

Alright gents, propshaft fitted and pleased to say it's finally nice and smooth again, no more pesky vibrations, woo hoo!!! I didn't bother refitting the CV gasket to one end as it was damaged and no grease appears to be flung out, I'll need to put more miles on it to be sure but so far so good. Now for an MOT and get some use out off it before it's off the road again for winter!!!

Comment

good news.

Comment

Working...
                      X