which gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which gearbox

Hi. Ok use to have a quattro but then had to get rid because I had a accident at work that really messed up my leg Because of the injuries thought i was not going to drive a manual car again. So anyway here we are quite a way down the line and I am still able to drive manual and recently got myself another quattro. A 1990 B3 but has a gearbox issue. Goes into third ok but just keeps popping out as soon as you put your foot on the loud pedal/ Im guseing because I havent gone into it just yet but its probably the selector, so It going to be easier just to swop boxes and put a new clutch in it. So my question will a s2 gearbox bolt straight in on a 2.3 20v quattro coupe, have been told that on a s2 box the gears are a little longer. Would like to put A six speed in it but believe that you cant get the six speed linkages any help on this please Thanks

Honestly the 5 speed is a nicer box, 6 speed is quite noisy with a single mass as the gears are cut straighter. 7A diff is same as S2 so the box should work. K Simmonds Kit will know for sure and I think he has a decent 5 speed for sale.

And yes - 6 speed linkages are Unicorn Poo!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Yep, the five speed box is so much nicer to use than a six cog and it's lighter, I was going to put my old 3B box in my RS2, though I've changed my mind and decided to live with the notchy six speed as I've got people who want my five speed subframe and 3B gearbox... Though neither sale is finalised.

I do however also have the five speed out the 30V C4 I broke recently, I think it's 4.11 like an S2 or 7A box but I'm not 100% if your interested in it I'll find out for you. It looks identical to my 3B box, I've got the pair sat next each other.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Sounds good to me thanks for that. Would drop a new Sachs clutch in it. Believe they are as good as a stage1

Comment

Well my 3B box is now officially sold. But as I say I have the one from my 30V C4 which as it had a 7K red line will be suitable ratio's for a 7A, just got my fingers crossed it's 4.11, I'll get the code of it and find out. That was a lovely smooth gearbox when I had the car on the road.

Comment

Thats fantastic. really appreciate your help. as I say was going to drop a new clutch in it and looking through the forum nearly everyone rate the Sachs clutch as its as good as a stage one. once got the car sorted I fancy entering into one of those Hero rally events. Thank you.

Comment

Right.... After a lot of searching on the good old interweb I finally managed to find out what the final drive is for the 30V box I've got... And your in luck it's a DJT which was the final version of this gearbox made with a 4.11 final drive, so the same as an S2 or 7A box and will do the job nicely for you.

1st, 3.5000
              2nd, 1.944
              3rd, 1.300
              4th, 0.943
              5th 0.789
              Reverse... 3.444

Pretty much perfect ratios for a 7A, which I expected as the car it came from was 197bhp but a but being a C4 a fair bit more weighty than a B3 platform, gives a top speed of 155mph or thereabouts at 7Krpm.

Edit..

Also where are you? As I'm going north from mid Wales to Preston towards the end of the month to exchange my 3B box with another member for a bumper, I'm going in a T5 van so will have plenty of space to sling another box in and either deliver it or meet you somewhere.

Alternatively your welcome to collect it whenever you want, I'm near Brecon in Mid Wales.

Oh yeah and OE Sach clutches are excellent, will easily take 25% more torque than stock, unless your trying to tow a massive caravan full of cement up a mountain.

The tired old stock one in my 3B managed to hold on to well over 500NM for about a hundred miles before it decided enough was enough and it was virtually on the rivets as well as 20 years and 80K miles old also the car had been a Nothelle conversion for all that time so it had done bloody well to last that long.
              Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 January 2023, 16:24.

Comment

hello Mate. All sounds good and thank you for going to all that trouble. need to talk money then. I have got a few medical bills to sort out first as i went private to get my leg sorted. really happy to collect or even sort someone to grab it for me but if your coming this way then yeah I'd be happy to meet you enroute, I'm Crewe, Chester so motorway link isnt that far away. I'm one of those that things always happen with me, I always put others first so money that I had ear marked to do something with always ends up being spent or lent to do something else with I try to be fair without being selfish, thats my down fall so things are either always on going or unfinished for ages, they get done.......eventually! determined to get this quattro how I want it, as long as it takes....he says!

Comment

I don't want silly money for it, currently listed for sale at £150 ono, I can almost certainly divert and deliver/meet up with you as Crewe isn't far from my route.

Drop me a PM and we'll sort something out

Comment

That's excellent. Thank you. Will send you a PM and we can sort it. So it doesn't take you off your route there is a services at Junction 16 on the M6 not a big services but reckon that be favourite. Let me know when your heading up North and we'll sort it between us. Nice one

Comment

Cool, I know exactly where you mean, so that's no problem, I think junction 16 is where I got off for Northwich.

I lived just south of Manchester for a short time and was back and forth between there and mid Wales on a regular basis so I know the M6/M5 and A49 very well. Normally used the A49 as that's shortest route and I tend to travel at night. But in the day time there was often too much traffic on there to make good progress in my MK2 GTi's or Scirroco's so I would hop on to the motorway to blast down or up. Sometimes I went that way at night just for a change.

I picked up my first Audi from up there, a 2.3 NG Coupe, that's the car that converted me to an Audi enthusiast.

Anyway, I'll mark the box as sold.

All being well I'll be traveling up on either the Friday the 20th or Monday the 23rd, will be in that area around 11.30 I'd have thought. Aim to be at the big service's near Preston at lunch time if all goes to plan. Or I guess I could meet you later on the way back down.

Will keep you posted via PM on exact arrangements.
                      Last edited by K Simmonds; 11 January 2023, 12:45.

Comment

Cool. Like I say I will PM you with my mobile number. Would you prefer cash or send you the cash via PayPal. Love the chase of getting bits for my quattro. I'm lucky enough to have bought back my quattro I sold, I always said to the chap that bought it, if he was to sell it give me first chance I sort of knew then he didn't know what he was buying he's now got a 2010 A5 3 0 quattro. I did give him fair warning that they are not everyone's car but he bought it. Think he liked the idea more than what was involved running a classic quattro. I only sold it because I didn't think I would be able to drive manual anymore and I didn't want it just sat on my drive. Yes quattro bits are getting rarer but it's the likes of us that's keeping the car alive. Long live the quattro.

Comment

I don't mind, some PayPal funds would be quite handy as it happens... Drop me a PM mate and we can sort out the details.

I've also purchased a car back recently, my 1989 B3 80 2.0 poverty spec quattro, sold it to a mate who did nothing with it in two years and gave him scrap value for it. It does need a whole new front end as I'd had an 'incident' with a fence, he didn't have the time to sort it so left it sat. I've got all the parts to fix it ready in the boot but have other much more important projects to tackle first.

Glad to hear you can drive a manual again and got your car back I'd be pleased as well!

I hate new cars and refuse to buy anything more modern than a B4 or C4. B5's are okay as well but after them Audi's started to loose their character.

One can not beat an old proper quattro.

Comment

Here Here . PM you Friday sort the Money. Cheers. My name is Iain, studley is my nick name a nick name I've had for over 30 years when I used to play rugby and was made of rubber, could bounce back from most hard hits. Might come along in my quattro show you why I sold it so cheap. It really needs a respray I never got around to it there was always something else or someone else to sort first. Person I bought the car from did respray it in a damp old barn and then left it. The whole car is covered in micro blisters. The bloke was an absolute F wit.

Comment

That cool Iain, or studley, though I'd rather call you by your proper name, hell you've had the car of a long time, must have been fairly new still when you first got it, getting it back must have been a great feeling!

Am guessing you had an accident with your left leg? I know what it's like to use the use of a limb having broke both my arm and seven ribs last September.... My right was a total mess, compound fracture right by my wrist which also smashed to bit's (note, do not punch walls even if your really cross) I had four hours of surgery on it to put it back together which had to done under local anesthetic due to my broken rib restricting my breathing. That was an interesting experience I can tell you, though to be honest I was so pumped full of Morphine I wasn't really in pain at any point, apart from in the ambulance on way there as they couldn't give anything. Anyway that's now got over a dozen screws and a couple of plates in it and it's totally fine, whereas my left arm which I broken a little lump off by my elbow has been a total PITA, stopped me working on cars properly.... I was doing okay then started weight training in May to get my strength back, that was going fine until early July when I did something to it moving an engine on a sack truck. It is now finally starting to get better and to the point where I can work on cars with care again. Right Iain, I won't bore you with any more of medical history.

Paintwork is pretty much the least important thing on a car, as long as it's not rusty it can always be fixed at some point, the stuff under the bonnet, rotating things and brakes etc are far more important IMO, cosmetics are the last thing on my list. My 3B S2 looked like a dog close up, slightly different colour wings, bonnet and bumpers bolted on from other car's and it had paint down one side so was at least half dozen different shades of Emerald Green . Yet it would piss on just about anything on the road in a straight line... 1300kg;s and 380+bhp make for a very rapid machine, it would out drag my fathers V10 twin turbo RS6 to about 110MPH then the RS would start to gain momentum being over two tons. I do miss the car, but am actually kinda glad I stuffed it at a a fairly low speed and didn't hurt anyone or myself, it was a death machine as I ran stock brakes (up rated) along with original 3B wheels and decent tyres and I could easily have had a high speed incident in it.

My RS2 is nearly as fast but it handles so much better, feel's much safer and my 2.8 C4 Avant quattro is like driving a living room, though both are off the road currently due to my health problems. They're both safely tucked up in my workshop and I will be making a start on things as soon as it warms up a bit, my father will be driving the T5 van on the day... I can legally drive but don't due to being on some heavy med's which I'm cutting back on all the time.

Hell I've waffled on for ages, drop me a PM on Friday and we'll sort things out.
                              Last edited by K Simmonds; 11 January 2023, 21:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X