No announcement yet.

Which clutch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to use a 3B flywheel with an ABY engine and 6spd gearbox? this because my project engine is an aby with 6spd, but i want to use a solid flywheel and not that dual mass thing. I hope this is possible with taking the spacer out between engine and box.

And then put in a beefier cluth like you guys said a few posts before.

Is this an option? cheers cees.

Comment

Guys,

I'll have to take back my comments on my Sachs clutch (again) It appears that my slipping clutch is not due to the clutch itself but a problem with the clutch slave cylinder or supply piping My new uprated clutch is 20% stronger than the Sachs clutch and it's still slipping above 4,000rpm. During my recent engine rebuild and gearbox swap the slave cylinder was moved to allow the gearbox to be removed. It looks like this may have pinched the flexible section of the supply hose, creating something like a one-way valve. Damn annoying, as it's a nightmare to get at with the engine and gearbox in the car I managed to bleed the slave cylinder and then decided to get it out to test it. This was a major mistake! It comes out pretty easily, however getting the frikin thing back in is a different story. I spent an hour struggling to get it back in and had to give up and walk away. I'm going to try to get it back in without the hydraulic pipe attached. Hopefully this will make it easier to compress.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Hi Steve,
        What clutch are you using and how was it uprated???
        A price and a contact would be appreciated.
        RS2 MTM

Comment

Here's a pic of one of the friction plates I've had made up. This one's for a 3B, the ABY unit will be here soon.

This friction plate has the heaviest springs available and combined with the uprated pressure plate, which is identical to the Helix pressure plate, it should be good for most applications. The pressure plate has been tested and has 20% higher clamping force than the Sachs unit. It's still in development at the moment, so more testing will be required before they can be produced to order.
          Attached Files
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Is this from the same place that I'm getting mine from Steve?
            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug,

Yours is with them at the moment. They didn't have any uprated springs for your ABY variant in stock. Infact, they said they hadn't seen one like that before! The springs should be in sometime next week. I'm off to see the boss on Tuesday, I'll get an update for you then.
              Last edited by SteveH; 3 April 2004, 13:18.
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

I have been jusing the Sachs Sport or is it Race...? Keep forgetting The one which promises about 600nm. But I was'nt fully satisfied.

Now that the engine is already out, I'm changing to a Carbon-something clutch. Looks like a sinter but feels more like a sport-clutch. Between 7-800nm I think. Can check it up more if someone's interrested. Not that expensive either...

OZzzt

Comment

Originally posted by OZzzt
                  I have been jusing the Sachs Sport or is it Race...? Keep forgetting The one which promises about 600nm. But I was'nt fully satisfied.

Now that the engine is already out, I'm changing to a Carbon-something clutch. Looks like a sinter but feels more like a sport-clutch. Between 7-800nm I think. Can check it up more if someone's interrested. Not that expensive either...

OZzzt
                  OZzzt...Mmm carbon friction plate...very nice

I have asked about carbon, but it's not something the company I've dealt with use, or know much about. I've heard very good reports on carbon clutches, however, I was also told they are very expensive. You get the bite of a paddle clutch, with the feel of a standard setup. They also last pretty well too. I'd be interested to hear more? especially how you get on with it.

cheers,
                  Steve
                  91 Modded 3B

Comment

am interested to hear any feedback u ppl have on these cos im going to be giving them my clutch too once its out of the car
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Ant - are you taking the gearbox out or are you having the engine out for you mods?
                      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I thought Ant was only going rs2, and not mega bhp? So id have thought not..... But knowing me i could be wrong:wacked:
                        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Will be gearbox out... Am getting a mate to do it for me.

Power mods have been put on hold for the moment as Timucin sold off his stuff elsewhere.

When i do the mods tho its only top half im gonna do, headgasket, head work, EM etc.

Bottom end im leaving... my pockets arent that deep!

SteveH, the slave cylinder i thought was v easy to get back in cos of that bracket it sits in, i done it blind, ie laying on the engine and working purely on touch, pushed it in to that bracket then had a feel around to get it in the right place.
                          Was a bitch tho cos the part i had wasnt totally genuine so had to be modified with my angle grinder to fit LOL
                          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
                            OZzzt...Mmm carbon friction plate...very nice

I have asked about carbon, but it's not something the company I've dealt with use, or know much about. I've heard very good reports on carbon clutches, however, I was also told they are very expensive. You get the bite of a paddle clutch, with the feel of a standard setup. They also last pretty well too. I'd be interested to hear more? especially how you get on with it.

cheers,
                            Steve
                            I hane'nt been able to get very much info about that clutch.
                            But I know KRB in Norway sells them.

I took a picture of a used one...

Will give a report when the car hits the road again

OZzzt
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X