Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not hard but expensive. Probably cheaper to fit a 01E with slightly longer ratios already fitted i.e. DSY / FDP out of a B5 S4/RS4
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yes the B5 S4 is geared slightly higher than the S2.

There is also a nice 0.56 gearing in 6th from some late nineties / early noughties 01E diesel boxes but the other ratios are a bit mad and some are not 37/9 final drive.

Cheapest route is probably to get the right 'box from a breaker and pull 6th cogs out of it.

I am actually thinking more of the B6 S4 which runs at silly engine speed on the mway in 6th. One for a rainy day I think - got enough on my plate !
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Ah ha. Well your B6 is not an 01E, its the OA3 box. JHM do an off-the-shelf longer 6th for it. But it is far far too long, stupid long IMHO.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...h=21_56_61_105
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I got a couple of broken tdi boxes cheap...(selectors&rear flange not gears) and salvaged a useable unit. Depending on which chassis there may be a bit of a mix&match job with shafts and cv's, after a chat with said wizard I may part and spherical weld front flanges for my project which makes good for replacing parts later on.

Gazza I think your right about it being tall, might be too much. Hx40 should take care of that hopefully would like to see same setup/power drag with tdi&o16. 60mph rpm's too.

I have an entire tdi box in spares if anyone needs bits

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            Ah ha. Well your B6 is not an 01E, its the OA3 box. JHM do an off-the-shelf longer 6th for it. But it is far far too long, stupid long IMHO.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...h=21_56_61_105
            I stand corrected - bit lazy with my 'box terminology there, but yes that JHM kit is some factory Audi cogs from a diesel box - the long 6th ratio is fine for cruising... would pay for itself in fuel savings after a while but its not a casual modification !
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by bartolomeus View Post
              I've just bought a 2.5 tdi A4 01E gearbox. Want to link it to 2.2t engine on ABY chassis.
              Questions that I have:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/

1) Are 01e tdi gearboxes direct swap? No other modifications?
              **01E swaps for 01E physically, with out problems in my experience. some, like the RS2 have different mounting for shift linkages, etc. and i dont remember about Procon or whatever.... and then the final drive (3.89, 4.11, 4.35) stuff as well.
              2) I see the 2.5 tdi A4 01E gearbox has 3.89 diff ratio and I know 2.2t 01e gearboxes have the diff with 4.11 ratio, can I change the front diff from a petrol gearbox and put it to the tdi gearbox? Thus resolving the problem?
              **no you cannot that easliy. it is not the diff you need to change, rather the ring and pinion for the front diff. the diff is physically the same part. and to be really correct, the shaft should stay with the box it came from, as well the diff should stay unless you want to buy new bearings and shims and do all of the preloading and shimming.
              3) Are tdi 01e gearboxes really stronger than petrol ones?
              **not in my experience. i have ran 9 second 1/4's on all of the ones i have tried. TDI, RS2, B5S4, etc.
              4) Is the allroad 01e 2.5tdi gearbox the strongest of them all?
              **doesnt the Allroad 01E have a 4.35 final drive? thus you would need the Allroad rear diff as well. it does also have slightly different gear ratios than regular 01E gearboxes as well
              5) I see 01e A4 1.9tdi gearbox has the same 4.11 diff ratio, thus no diff swap, but it is stronger than petrol 01e gearbox?
              **not in my experience.
              and then of course the output flange sizes..... all 01E are 108 in my experience. when you want to use in an 01A car you put B5A4 rear diff flanges into it. or two right side B2 4000 Q rear diff flanges into it.

i run 630+ wtq on a (now) stock B5S4 01E, 2001 or so. just fine. it exploded the top of the rear diff the only launch it did this year, and that was with power down around 760 awhp and 570 wtq @ 38psi. but the trans is just fine.

the only 01E i have broken were the UrS4 5 speed, narrow, first, and then i finished off some already grinding 3/4 syncros in the TDI 01E i was loaned and beat up for a year plus.

Comment

So is there an option for my rs2 gearbox for a longer 6th gear?

Comment

Yes it is.
                  I will share my experience at this moment.
                  I have a diesel quattro 01e gearbox. I will change its internal diff with the one from a petrol 01e gearbox (to match the diff ratio).
                  Then I will upload the gearbox to the RS2.
                  I will come back with more details once it's done.

Comment

Newbie question 01E box

Please be gentle, this is my first post and I'm sure this question has been asked a lot but I can't find the answer in the search.
                    I have a mid engine car with a V8 Chevrolet, adapter plate and drive shafts aside,
                    I'm looking for a transaxle (2.7 Diesel??) that can handle 900+bhp and >650lbs/ft.
                    I'm told there is an Audi 01e that will suit, I' am looking for a box that is geared for 200-220mph on 18" rims @7000 RPM engine speed.
                    Or am I stuck with a Porsche G50/52?

ETS This is two wheel rear drive 1100Kgs

Comment

01E type diesel fwd box hould be enough to pass that target.

Comment

Working...
                      X