Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Mass Flywheel on ABY - PROBLEMS!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gheezo you are having all the fun ......so did you hit the guy that tightened the bolt ?........hopefully can get it welded up and back on the road soon
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Man - is that car jinxed or what ?

I've certainly not heard of the dowel problems described here... And when a pair of trusted hands from MarkH doing the job doesn't report such a problem then I can only assume there must be some variance across the years on the blocks and/or bellhousings... Unless as you say, something else got jammed in there when the tightening sequence started.

Suggest you get outside a dozen bottles of your favourite beer and just hope you feel better in the morning. You won't, but it might help you forget for a while

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

He's lucky..

I had this same problem too when I installed the ABY engine into my coupe quattro 7a engine bay. I unfortunately cracked the ABY block but It was welded and haven't had any problems The Dowel sleeves need to be machined down to allow everything to fit snuggly together.
        I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

I think Doug Rs2 mentions this dowel sleeve problem in one of his early engine rebuild projects,

hope you get it welded up ok
          Dez

Never did overtime until i purchased........s2

Comment

Yep the dowel pins are too long when you remove the spacer, i had to chop mine back 8-10mm. Also i was told the 5speed bolts can be used to mount the gearbox without a spacer.

Did your mechanic not find it odd the gearbox wasn’t sitting flush when doing up the bolts, they must have been really tight to crack the bell housing
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by slow2 View Post
              I think Doug Rs2 mentions this dowel sleeve problem in one of his early engine rebuild projects,

hope you get it welded up ok
              Dez good to see you posting mate, do you know the link to this thread?

I'd be very interested to see pics of these dowels

I've just been through Marco's stroker thread and he's not mentioned it either when he went to single mass

Comment

For ASZ, ARV, AXM 014 301 153 16x12,8
                012 301 153 16/22x16
                for CGR 01E 301 153 21,5x13
                01E 301 153A 24x13
                These dimensions I found on ETOS.
                Hope this helps!
                Eugen

Comment

I've seen this posted here a few times, I remember Josh's pictures of his cracked block well.

I posted about it here
                  and here , although it would have been more helpful if I had mentioned it in that other link posted above

I know Sal got away without shortening his and it left a small gap between the block and bell housing.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Josh's old thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...hlight=cracked
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Heres a pic from my ABY block...

Mark.
                      Attached Files
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Sorry to here this Andy,
                        Sounds like mr ham fisted was at work! IF you have to winch the two together then something is wrong!

Bellhousing can be welded easy, nice and thick material.

Make sure mr fist pays for the repair, no excuse for a professional mechanic to make this mistake.

All the best!
                        Rob..
                        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                        87 UR 20v ABY
                        97 S6 Avant
                        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Andy, So sorry to hear this.

What a PITA.

Keep your chin up. I hope you can sort it in good time..

All the best.
                          Bo
                          91 S2 coupé - RIP
                          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Andy

It seems you've had a fair bit of bad luck with the S2 recently!! We should start a club

Keep going though, fantastic car and will be worth the wait... do you have a run-around in the mean time?

Cheers
                            Ross
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

In fairness to the guy doing the work (as I was pretty much stood next to him holding the box) he wasn't leaning on the ratchet driver any more than I would have done. It's a shame we found out about the problem in this way rather than everything going tight and there being a gap, bad luick rather than negligence.

I'm going to mod the dowels today and hopefully get the box welded. Should be back together this week if all goes smoothly.

I'll start a new thread about single mass conversion and we can make it a sticky to ensure that all the information is in one place. Might have to be at lunch now.

Anyway, a pic for everyone to wince at:-

And the dowels (ABY left, 7A right):-

Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

This highlights the difference between CGR and other 'box fixings...
                                Attached Files
                                Cheers'en, AndyC
                                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                                X