Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problems!!?!?!? 'HELP'

Hi all,

I am new to the S2 world and this forum. Unfortunatly I didn't even get the car home from buying it before I got a problem with my car. It is a 1994 S2 Avant (ABY) that has done 133000miles.

Basicaly I had stopped at a junction and the car would not go into gear. The car had been fine up to this point! I was pressing the clutch pedal to the floor but it was not releasing the clutch completely from the flywheel. (The clutch pedal still felt good.) I managed to get the car home eventually. I have a freind who has a garage so I took it straight to him. He has had a look at it but cant work out what the problem is. We have tried bleeding the system at the slave cylinder. No change. The clutch pedal is definatly moving the clutch as we can hear it. It just isn't mooving it enough. One thing I have noticed is that the clutch has started making a loud creeking noise when the clutch is pressed and released. I dont think that it was making this noise before.

Another thing that happened (Im not sure if this is related to the above problem) is that for some reason when I pressed the clutch a load of hydrolic fluid started to spray out of the top of the reservoir cap. There seemed to be quit a bit of air in this. (This only happened twice. After it had been sat for a day. It didn't happen when the problem first happened. We had pressed the clutch pedal loads of times the day before and this had not happened. It has not happened since.)

We are totally bemused as to what the problem could be!!!

Has anyone else on here had this problem or douse anyone have any clues as to what has gone wrong?!?!?

My car has done exactly the same thing, wont go in to gears, can hear it moving something but not enough to be able to shift gears etc.

no fluid everywhere tho, that just sounds like its overfilled.

Im getting my clutch out next week and will probably be replacing it. If your gonna be looking at more power in the future might be worth contacting a company that SteveH and TomC have used (and i shall be using) as they can uprate the original clutch for less than a standard Sachs unit from GSF.

As ive not had it all out yet i dont know whats causing it, but i have replaced the slave and master cylinders in hope it would be them but wasnt, so it must be whatever releases the clutch.... mine will still drive if u get it in to gears by blipping the throttle and pushing in, so clutch is intact.... Sounds like yours is exactly the same as mine
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Guys, take the tray off underneath the steering wheel ( 4 x 8mm bolts) and check that the clutch master cylinder pushrod is not bending at its rubber join. If it is, you may be able to re adjust it. Failing that, I mended mine by using an adjustable cup off a bicycle bottom bracket (dont laugh) bolted up to the join ( you will get the idea once youve seen what it looks like). I found it impossible to remove the pushrod with the CMC in place. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guy's!! I will check the master cylinder pushrod after work.

S2 Ant, Have you checked this on your's??

Comment

As above, i have replaced both slave and master cylinder.

When pushing the pedal i get what sounds like a creaking noise from where the clutch would be, so its def something that needs attention in there. Do you get anything like this?

The Master cylinder is very easy to remove and replace, i found the best way to remove it was to use a good branded Alan key that has the curved end at one end so you can use it at a different angle other than head on, this allows you to get in to the 2 bolts as i dont think you could get a socket on the upper bolt, the lower one is easily got at with a 1/4" drive ratchet using an alan key bit in a small socket (or at least thats how i done it)

The only other thing then it to undo the fluid pipe in the engine bay, i found this a tad more awkward, but again with a decent brand tool (not a chocolate one!) you can undo this at a diagonal angle to the head if that makes sense? To get the room to do this i took off the metal pipe for the inlet side that runs along the side of the engine to get a lil bit of extra room.

If you need further help doing this myself and several other people on here have done this job and should be able to help if necessary
          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I've looked at the master cylinder and it's not that. It has already got a new one on and seems to be working fine.

Cheers for the info though Ant. It loks like the clutch will be coming out on Tuesday now. Has anyone got any tips on removing the clutch??

Ant, have you got the no. for this company for the clutch?

Comment

You have a PM.

Ive not used this company yet but when i spoke to them on the phone they seem very friendly and obviously Tom and Steve are recommending them so sure they are top notch.
              Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Tips for removing the gearbox. Mmmmmmm, if you have no ramp, dont try it. I have taken the box in and out of mine so many times now. It is possible to do the clutch by removing the engine(this can be done on your drive) or removing the gearbox (this CANNOT be done on your drive). If you are not happy about doing the job yourself then find a garage you can trust and take it there. It is not a major job, just labour intensive.

Trust me, its not as bad as Clio 16V or Citroen Xantia or Mondeo
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

BTW the clutches that some of us are using, well me and SteveH, are superb. They cost a similar price to the std job, but are uprated to handle upto about 380-400bhp.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Sounds like the release bearing has worn its way through the fingers of the diaphragm, common on the S2 as there isnt much room to place your foot next to the pedal, you will find yourself resting it on the clutch pedal, thus making the bearing contant the fingers
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thanks for all the help guy's!! Much apreciated!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
                      Ste.

Comment

Originally posted by stejames
                        I've looked at the master cylinder and it's not that. It has already got a new one on and seems to be working fine.

you took the master cilinder out? or only ? mine was taken out and built in again because after like 500 km's after they fitted a new clutch it looked like it had air in it, wouldnt totally disconnect to get in gear.
                        after they took it out and put in back in it was like new...
                        power to the s2 people

Comment

Ant did you replace the pressure plate as well as the friction plate? I had this on a mate's ur years ago, we took it all apart (dropped the box off, on wheel ramps and axle stands, I remember it was a real struggle, being under the car with the box on your chest is no fun )... changed the friction plate and it was still bad, turned out the diaphragm spring was cracked. Had to do it all again. Last time I ever changed only one bit of a clutch.. thing is the pressure plate looked perfect.. you live and learn..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh yes, I remember the creaking sound too.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

What clutch kit are you using Tom and where can you get them from, Thats one of the jobs on my things to do list.
                              Graham
                              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X