This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to install 3b flywheel to adu?

yep sorry i remember asking the same question multiple times but excuse my understanding problem...
    today i ve checked 3b and adu flywheels , they are like day and night

how do i install them? i remember, i was supposed to remove smthng but i dont remember what was it?

thnx for help
    Quattro

Originally posted by timucin
    yep sorry i remember asking the same question multiple times but excuse my understanding problem...
    today i ve checked 3b and adu flywheels , they are like day and night

how do i install them? i remember, i was supposed to remove smthng but i dont remember what was it?

thnx for help
    Timucin,

I've been told that all you will need to remove when putting the engine back in is the spacer plate that gos between the bell housing and the block, and use the 3b clutch and flywheel mounting bolts. The person that told me that has done this before and knows his stuff, so it should be OK.

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

ok thnx again..
      Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
        Timucin,

I've been told that all you will need to remove when putting the engine back in is the spacer plate that gos between the bell housing and the block, and use the 3b clutch and flywheel mounting bolts. The person that told me that has done this before and knows his stuff, so it should be OK.

Mark.
        Totally correct !!!

Comment

But shouldn't you use the ADU clutch disk, as I thought the ingoing axis of the gearbox has a different spline pattern?
          Red cars are the fastest ones...
          - Team Irry -

Comment

i hope not cause i already ordered and received 3b clutch kit
            Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by timucin
              i hope not cause i already ordered and received 3b clutch kit

No - it fits 100%..just let the metal plate off...and install 3B clutch & stuff...then it works wunderful..

Comment

Ok!

Heard a bunch of different stuff before; use ABY clutch with a distance ring on the flywheel, use 3B pressure plate and ABY disc etc..
                Red cars are the fastest ones...
                - Team Irry -

Comment

Originally posted by Flexx
                  No - it fits 100%..just let the metal plate off...and install 3B clutch & stuff...then it works wunderful..

Done it today, I got the ADU block with a 3B flywheel and clutch fitted to the ABY 6 speed box, with the spacer removed. Although the engine is not running yet, the clutch seems to be working fine - unable to turn engine in gear, but turns nicely with the clutch depressed - the engine sits about ~8-10 mm further back on its mounts.
                  The only small problem I have found is some of the original bellhousing to block bolts are a bit too long now that the spacer is removed (~10mm), so I am off to B&Q's now for some thick washers .

Mark.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

I have a 3B engine and 3B flywheel, race cluch and 3B presure plate together with 6 gear ABY gearbox (my 3 gear box )

The only thing was to remove the moutung plate from the aby gear box. the rest works
                    AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan View Post
                      Done it today, I got the ADU block with a 3B flywheel and clutch fitted to the ABY 6 speed box, with the spacer removed. Although the engine is not running yet, the clutch seems to be working fine - unable to turn engine in gear, but turns nicely with the clutch depressed - the engine sits about ~8-10 mm further back on its mounts.
                      The only small problem I have found is some of the original bellhousing to block bolts are a bit too long now that the spacer is removed (~10mm), so I am off to B&Q's now for some thick washers .

Mark.
                      Ah! I've never seen this post I think Andy might wish he'd seen it.

Made a sticky

Comment

But no mention of the dowels This needs to be a warning to check the length of the dowels to avoid cracking the bell housing.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

The dowels are the problem. There's not enough relief in the 'box to accept them. I'm confused why noone's had this problem before. Perhaps my 'box was damaged or there was something else stopping it from mounting properly. Obviously 6 speed converting a 3B doesn't run into this problem but the 'box locating dowels and a couple of the bolts are likely to be wrong. I will post pictures when I am at work.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

if I read this right, the RS2 clutch won't fit on a 3B flywheel?

I have an 3B engine, UrS4 6 speed gearbox and would like to buy the RS2 clutch from Papvas, will it work?

Comment

You need a 3B clutch to work with a 3B flywheel. Dual mass clutch will not fit single mass flywheel.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X