Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange rattle noise could it be the release bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange rattle noise could it be the release bearing?

While driving to the annual Audi Club Denmark gathering my car suddenly development a very annoying rattle sound.

When the car is idling the rattle is very low and almost impossible to hear.
    When I put it in gear and drive the rattle noise gets very loud and it follows the RPM. So if I drive faster it rattles faster. If I then press the clutch just a little bit and the sound starts and I cant hear it anymore. If I accelerate and release the gas pedal, then the sound is still there.

Now I'm thinking that it could be the release bearing that is the one to blame?
    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Yep, sounds like the clutch release bearing, my 10 valve coupe once had these symptoms, though the rattle was often accompanied by a squeaky whine when the clutch was used.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I have not yet heard the squeky noise, but then again my exhaust is very loud

I'm going to put the car on a lift and run it for a little while so I can pin point where the sound is coming from.

If it is the release bearing then it is going to be really fun, since I have this weird combination of a UrS4 5 speed gearbox and clutch.
      Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
      X