Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch gearbox ABY 90q conversion questions

Hi there,

I am doing an ABY conversion to my 90Q. I have used the existing box and used the S2 ABY engine and clutch and flywheel.

Now the clutch pedal is hard as nails. I'm a strong enough lad but just the thought of being in traffic would have my leg shaking in no time.

WHICH CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL SHOULD I USE?

Acid burn said change the FW to a AAN?

I cant afford to but new clutch, fw etc. So can anyone give me some advice?

Or am I being a complete girl and need to harden up?

Thanks

What have you done with the spacer used on the ABY engine/gearbox?

Brian Tonks is really your man for this question.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

He is still using the spacer but with the aby duel mass flywheel and clutch

When I removed the 6 speed box from the cab it never had a spacer but was running a duel mass from an aan since its thinner, i've since stuck a 5 speed box on it instead still with no spacer.

Comment

What engine had the 90Q had, if was a 7A surely be simplest to just use the 7A fly wheel and what ever clutch assembly thats same size

Comment

Yeah, might help if I add more intel on the car. 2300cc 1989 audi 90Q. Fitted ABY engine, clutch and FW to old (type 89) 5 speed gearbox. AcidBurn recommends AAN FW...

Tonks. I know your out there and I know you can hear this post... what you saying buster?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Tonks is in germany currently

Comment

Its okay ACID. Smoke signals en route! How you getting on with that pipe. Could always break madwolfs car!

Comment

both his cars are already broken

Comment

[QUOTE=simyboye;489744]Hi there,

I am doing an ABY conversion to my 90Q. I have used the existing box and used the S2 ABY engine and clutch and flywheel.

Mines just been done by Brian, it was 7A and he just used the 7A flywheel and I bought a standard 3B clutch ( ÂŁ200 ) and Roberts your dads brother...
                  PS My engine is AAN if that makes a difference....

Comment

[QUOTE=bazburn;490085]
                    Originally posted by simyboye View Post
                    Hi there,

Mines just been done by Brian, it was 7A and he just used the 7A flywheel and I bought a standard 3B clutch ( ÂŁ200 ) and Roberts your dads brother...
                    PS My engine is AAN if that makes a difference....
                    I know this is an old thread hopefully, you guys are still subscribed...

I'm doing this too, AAN block to RS2+ spec with 90q 7A parts, long story short looking for low 400's bhp.

I was going to use a 90q 7A (20v) gearbox an flywheel along with complete running gear.

My questions are;
                    Will the gearbox be able to handle the power?
                    How will it drive?
                    I know S2 coupe running gear can fit is it a straight forward swap?

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
                    Leigh
                    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
                    Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
                    2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
                    Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
                    Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
                    Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
                    2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

think "jonus " used to have the old 016 tranny in, next the 01e with welded thorsen... the tranny will hold together, if you dont launch too mutch.. the audi tranny are pretty strong, and the mostly trannys will fit in , if you break it ( remember the gearkode by the bellhousing, so it will match the rear ratio)

Comment

and the old green audi mod 85 "exjonus" are for sale in norway... att finn.no

Comment

Another question is the S2 5 spd & 6 spd stronger than a 90q 20v box?

Comment

The 7A 01A has pretty short ratios - similar to the first 5 gears in an S2 01E 6spd, so it will accelerate well but hold high revs while cruisings, but nothing too crazy, will still pull 145mph. They are not really suited to the torque though, so treat it nice - no launching!
                            S2 01A 5pd is stronger, but the 01E is much stronger again.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              The 7A 01A has pretty short ratios - similar to the first 5 gears in an S2 01E 6spd, so it will accelerate well but hold high revs while cruisings, but nothing too crazy, will still pull 145mph. They are not really suited to the torque though, so treat it nice - no launching!
                              S2 01A 5pd is stronger, but the 01E is much stronger again.
                              This may get annoying but next question

I'm assuming in order to fit a 01E that I'd need the shorter S2 coupe 6spd prop-shaft and matching diff.

What happens to the clutch / flywheel? - I have a 90q 20v flywheel and a 90q 20v performance clutch, can this still be used or would I be looking at getting another flywheel and clutch? If so what?!

Comment

Working...
                              X