s6 auto box how fragile is it really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
    Sorry. I did not say that. The only thing I said was that the rear diffs were common between the AAN engine and the AEC V8 UrS6s. Nothing more.

To be more complete and to prevent further confusion:

The AAN-engined UrS6 came with either:

1. The CRG 4 spd auto box 01F300041QX and the CKL 35/9 3.89:1 017500044G (or 044M) rear diff or

2. The CBL 01E300044EX 6 spd std with the CKF 37/9 (4.11:1) 017500044N (or 044H) rear diff

3. The CET 01E300044JX 5 spd with the CKF 37/9 (4.11:1) 017500044N (or 044H) rear diff

Whereas, the AEC V8-engined UrS6 came with either:

1. The 6 spd CMG 01E300043QX with the CKF 37/9 (4.11:1) 017500044N (or 044H) rear diff or

2. The 4 spd automatic CST 018300035JX with the CKF 37/9 (4.11:1) 017500044N (or 044H) rear diff.

The CST mated to the C4 UrS6 V8 is a ZF transmission, Type: 4 HP 24 A (ZF PN 1043 040 027)

The CRG mated to the C4 UrS6 AAN is also a ZF transmission, but it is a 4 HP 18 FLA (ZF PN 1050 020 032)

For confusion, the 174 hp V6 used the CRF 01F300042AX 4 spd automatic transmission which is also a 4 HP 18 FLA family ZF transmission (ZF PN 1050 020 038)

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Very comprehensive as usual!!!

The last line Dave wrote quote "And that's all I've got to say about that." is a line in the film Forest Gump played by Tom Hanks for those of you who have not seen it.Good film.

Dave,was this an intentional quote you just liked the sound of, or a fluke??

My quote from the film...."Lifes like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get" Bit like cars really! You never know where your going to end up.
    Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 6 May 2014, 17:11.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by voursch sprung dirch View Post
      ...The last line Dave wrote quote "And that's all I've got to say about that." is a line in the film Forest Gump played by Tom Hanks for those of you who have not seen it.Good film. Dave,was this an intentional quote you just liked the sound of, or a fluke??
      101% intentional. I even said it with with Forrest's accent as I typed it. In May 2013, we visited Savannah Georgia USA where many of the scenes in the movie were filmed, including the scene where he is sitting on the bench waiting for the bus when he does the "Life is like...." thing. That bench was a piece of fiction for the movie but it does exist in a local museum. We re-viewed the movie when we got back (probably seen it 3 or 4 times now since it came out back when).

I use the "Life is like..." thing regularly. (Not so much "That is all I've got to say...". Mostly because, typically, I have more to say.
      Last edited by UrS4boy; 6 May 2014, 19:39.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

101% intentional. I even said with with Forrest's accent as I typed it. In May 2013, we visited Savannah Georgia USA where many of the scenes in the movie were filmed, including the scene where he is sitting on the bench waiting for the bus when he does the "Life is like...." thing. That bench was a piece of fiction for the movie but it does exist in a local museum. We re-viewed the movie when we got back (probably seen it 3 or 4 times now since it came out).

I use the "Life is like..." thing regularly. (Not so much "That is all I've got to say...". Mostly because, typically, I have more to say.
        "That is all I've got to say...". Mostly because, typically, I have more to say.

it was funny i thought, the reference, and given that you are an encyclopedia.But heh why not when we can all learn

I thought it was intentional reasoning to myself that it would be too much of a fluke.

That film is one of my favorites,must have seen it at least 3 4 times too. Can't wait to show it to my son when he's a little older as he's only 3 and a half. Brilliant film!!

My Wife Loves it too and even now she says to me....Go on,...go on...say it. So in my deep south drawl i say "My mumma say's...life's like a box of chocolates you never know what your going get" It cracks her up still.

Shawshank Redemption is another favorite totally different film but still Brilliant!!
        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

IF indeed there was a switch. See my edit above (105E dropped 01/08/1999 in favour of the 105H). But that doesn't mean that no CMGs were build with 105Hs. It just means that the inventory didn't keep 105Es in stock anymore after that date.
          I'm not saying that "IF" the switch happened or not. I'm saying that it DID happen, i just dont have the SN of the earlier CMG box anymore.
          Usualy i would agree with you or Kate (most of the time both), but having disassembled both of the CMG boxes i can assure you that one of them had "flexible shaft with narrow first gear" aka 105E, 2nd of them (still installed in my UrS6) has "Flexible shaft with wide first gear" aka 105H.

Not that I want an autobox but I was curious about the 4HP24A and your suggestion about an external drive shaft to the front diff. You are correct:
          I remember that it took 3 men to safely extract that thing from one UrS6, that thing weighted a ton.

Interesting bit that i have noticed on euro UrS6 V8 automatic vs rest: the floor mat is different, that is logical. But also the centre console sides are different having removalble carpet covered sides rather than non removable full plastic molded into centre console. Will dig that up later, i should have some pictures of it in my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post

Interesting bit that i have noticed on euro UrS6 V8 automatic vs rest: the floor mat is different, that is logical. But also the centre console sides are different having removalble carpet covered sides rather than non removable full plastic molded into centre console. Will dig that up later, i should have some pictures of it in my computer.
            Good info re centre console and gearbox tunnel of the body, await photos at your convenience.

Makes a real urS6+, ( albeit in LHD for me - ) a real rare machine at this stage.

Thanks for info Zoig and Dave.

Guess I'll I have to use a DSY gearbox with my AEC V8, when I throw it all into one of my C4 S cars. :roll eyes:

Comment

macspring, UrS6+ floor pan is identical to other quattros, it had the common 01E instead of that 5HP24, so all interior trim, linkage, etc should be identical to normal AAN models, LHD or RHD does not matter.

Comment

I'm not saying that "IF" the switch happened or not. I'm saying that it DID happen, i just dont have the SN of the earlier CMG box anymore.
                Usualy i would agree with you or Kate (most of the time both), but having disassembled both of the CMG boxes i can assure you that one of them had "flexible shaft with narrow first gear" aka 105E, 2nd of them (still installed in my UrS6) has "Flexible shaft with wide first gear" aka 105H.
                I was at my local "drug" pusher, i.e. non-dealer Audi parts supplier, this afternoon. They have several versions of ETKA that they use. They had a bit of time so I had them bring up the oldest version and set it to European market Audi and then A10Q. Then 1994. Pulled up the transmission section and specifically, the 6 spd parts For the CMG input (1st gear shaft) it shows (drum roll) .....

01E311105E (flexible shaft but not the wide first gear). Oh well.

So very likely my 94 V8 S4 avant as the 01E311105E (unless the tranmission was replaced prior to 55K km when the car was imported from Japan to Canada. It has 93K km on it now.

Comment

so, it's not possible to swap V8 auto-transmission in a AAN.
                  It could be a nice game
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giacomo View Post
                    so, it's not possible to swap V8 auto-transmission in a AAN. It could be a nice game
                    Not sure why you would conclude that. Tunnel width? Despite comments in that regard, ETKA does not show a difference in the front floor pan that calls out "V8 Auto". If you have an AAN with the 4HP 18FLA, find a 4HP24A and compare lengths and sizes before saying it can't be done.

Comment

Oddly enough the only difference ETKA or ETOS show is about centre console, LHD is 4A1863241B and LHD V8 Auto is 4A1863241D, all RHD models got 4A2863241 consoles. Also separate trimp panels for console sides are listed only for V8 auto, 4A1863303C and 4A1863304C, they are not present for normal models that have the trim pieces incorporated into centre console.

Dave i'll ask for some pictures comparing the inside view of the V8 automatic floorpan and normal AAN floorpan, there is a visible difference. Driving one is even more strange as the throttle pedal from manual setup feels like its around the corner compared to AAN UrS6 that has smaller centre tunnel.

I'm not sure if it's possible any time soon, but underside pictures from a ramp would help out since this V8 Auto is now converted to 2.5TDI with 01E. It should be visibly different from native manual floorpans.

Comment

Finally found some pictures of the same car when conversion was made, V8 Automatic -> 2.5TDI 01E manual.
                        Note the visible bulge on the right side just under the heater ducting, that is not present on AAN Automatic or any manual cars.

Heater ducting is also different, upper centre console one is4A0857039B, lower 4A0819801D, that is valid for most of the cars. On "automatic: AEC" upper one is 4A0857039C, lower 4A0819801F.

Comment

Finally found some pictures of the same car when conversion was made, V8 Automatic -> 2.5TDI 01E manual. Note the visible bulge on the right side just under the heater ducting, that is not present on AAN Automatic or any manual cars.
                          Thanks for those. Okay, apparently newer versions of ETKA do not show some of the info that was shown in the older versions, e.g. differences in C4 floor pans for the V8 auto cars. Live and learn, too soon old, too late smart.

Soo....it would be *Difficult* (but not impossible) to add a 4HP24A to a 4HP18FLA autobox AAN-equipped UrS4/S6. Maybe the trick is to get a V8 Auto UrS4/S6 and convert it to an AAN.

Comment

Not sure why you would conclude that. Tunnel width? Despite comments in that regard, ETKA does not show a difference in the front floor pan that calls out "V8 Auto". If you have an AAN with the 4HP 18FLA, find a 4HP24A and compare lengths and sizes before saying it can't be done.
                            Just to see if the V8 auto gearbox can tolerate AAN tuning stronger than simple chip step 1.
                            sigpic

Comment

just to know: are V8 and AAN fixed in the same positions to the frame of the car?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X