No announcement yet.

Hi I need all your expert help with flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st pic, my money is on 7a due to the amount of meat on this side of the bearing,3b is noticeabley shallower
    2nd is probably an early s4 AAN flywheel with it saying 5 speed on it
    3rd pic is a 3b flywheel but from a 200 (or 5000 in the usa),same flywheel is also fitted to urq(RR) and several 10v turbo engines,these have the needle bearing pressed into the crankshaft

Comment

Thanks Rusty

So do you recognise any of the above flywheels? the second one is a dual mass flywheel...

The second pic part number matches up as an ABY flywheel

Part number off the top flywheel picture is 034 105 271C

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Clutch is not compatible ABY/ADU to 7A/3B. Stock ABY clutch can take more torque than stock 3B...
        Stock 7A flywheel can be used with AAN clutch. I'm not sure if ABY and AAN pressure plates are identical, because i'll be using Sachs unit. ABY Clutch has dampening springs along with dual mass flywheel, so the pressure plate might be different from AAN.

Only thing is, that there will be no dampening with 7A flywheel and AAN Clutch, as both the clutch and flywheel are solid units. Also, the "stick" from clutch silnder needs to be lenghtened, because 7A flywheel is thinner.

Comment

There's a spacer between the gearbox and engine for use with DM FW, when swapping to SM FW you remove the spacer and all works perfectly (S2 coupe anyway).
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Cany anyone tell me what engine this flywheel part number is from?

034 105 271C

Comment

Originally posted by BenC30 View Post
              Cany anyone tell me what engine this flywheel part number is from?

034 105 271C
              its a 7a flywheel superseeded by 034105270K

Comment

Also, can anyone confirm if the S2 ABY 6 speed flywheel and the RS2 ADU 6 speed flywheel are the same?

Comment

Thanks Spink thats great!

Comment

they both should have 034 105 266 E part number, AAN flywheel has C in the end(According to ETKA)

Comment

Whats an AAN engine??

Comment

The first one does not look like a 7a flywheel , the clutch contact surface is too small .
                        As it has the bearing housing it is probably an NG flywheel . If you want to be sure you need to post a pic of the other side of the flywheel , the NG does not have the timing pin in the back . Also you can see the difference between the 3B and 7A , both have the same timing pin but the 7A has the extra ridge of metal on the back . Don,t bother trusting the part numbers as they could well be wrong, I have machined loads of these flywheels and I have had an NG flywheel with the centre bearing housing and small clutch surface, no timing pin and a 7A flywheel with the larger clutch surface and and the timing pin at the back and the both had the SAME part number (034 105 271 C ) ! ! As far as I can make out this is because they were both made from the same casting for some time so some of the 7A and possibly even 3B flywheels are just made from they NG casting , they just machined the back and put the timing pin in . The NG flywheel for reference has a little bit bigger (in diameter) on the ridge of metal on the back , the ridge comes past where the timing pin would be .
                        So to sum up the NG has smaller clutch contact surface , largest ridge of metal at the back (in diameter ), the 7A has the bigger clutch contact surface , slightly smaller ridge of metal on the back
                        and the timing pin in place and the 3B is like the 7A but does not have the ridge on the back .

I hope this helps .
                        The best thing to do though is post a pic of the back of the first one to be sure as there may have been even more weirdness that I have not seen yet, it could for instance have the timing pin in the back and for some reason have had the smaller clutch plate fitted.
                        The smaller clutch contact surface I mention does not prevent the larger pressure plate being fitted so this could have been a possible combination .
                        Last edited by driftin jo; 11 November 2010, 19:37.

Comment

Whats an AAN engine??
                          3B - early S2 Coupe, ABY - 6 speed S2 Coupe and S2 Limo/Avant, AAN - UrS4/UrS6.

Comment

This is all great info, i will get a pic of the back tomorrow, my customer tells me this is a 7a flywheel but what you say means it might not be!!!

so if this is an NG flywheel, whats that from?

Comment

This is all great info, i will get a pic of the back tomorrow, my customer tells me this is a 7a flywheel but what you say means it might not be!!!

so if this is an NG flywheel, whats that from?
                              NG is 2.3 10 valve from various cars 80/90 /coupe / cabrio .

http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/Vo...ginescode.html

Comment

ah so 10v version of the 7a! So does the NG have a 230mm clutch and the 7a has a 240mm??

Comment

Working...
                                X