Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    I did not know that the 5 speed ur s4 boxes were 01E
    Basically you can add the 6th gear to 5 speed 01E if needed, they are not very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
      Basically you can add the 6th gear to 5 speed 01E if needed, they are not very different.
      Agree. Basically changing out a longer spacer for a gear and a shorter spacer, as shown here:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I did not know that the 5 speed ur s4 boxes were 01E
        Yes it is

Comment

and in those Ur-S4 with 5 speed boxes the reverse gear works like in the 6 speed ones? because if it is basically the same box....with the same propshaft and gear linkage?

i have the good chance to buy this car for 1500€... but the reverse gear makes a little noise...and the mechanics says that the problem comes from the clutch... maybe it is very used

http://www.segundamano.es/vizcaya/au...=31_s&st=a&c=4

fuel pump new
          every belts were changed last year
          electric coolant pump new

or this one with 6 speed box and in theory good condition, with every belst changed last year also,they says

for 1900€

http://www.segundamano.es/barcelona/...=31_s&st=a&c=4

all Ur-S4 came with multi coil ignition true or not? or maybe the first ones came with distributor ??
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

"and in those Ur-S4 with 5 speed boxes the reverse gear works like in the 6 speed ones?" YES

"all Ur-S4 came with multi coil ignition": YES

Comment

Originally posted by Tbend View Post
              "and in those Ur-S4 with 5 speed boxes the reverse gear works like in the 6 speed ones?" YES

"all Ur-S4 came with multi coil ignition": YES
              ok thanks...this is very clear information

imagine one day taking it off for rebuilding job... you could open it and upgrade it installing the flexible shaft and wider first gear,and also the gear ratios you want from the different 01E boxes... similar like an RS2 gearbox (CRB) but with the 6th gear from Audi 100 2.5TDI engine that is 0.56.... and you would have very good racing conditions gearbox and a very good 6th gear for "fuel economy" in the bored long travels

Comment

so now I've bought gearbox,

he had just looked in the wrong place after the code.

It is a 6-speed DSY

it had to be strong enough?

anyone know how important the oil cooler is
                it is not just a problem with the heat if you run high speed for a long time?

Comment

Originally posted by fluk3 View Post
                  so now I've bought gearbox,

he had just looked in the wrong place after the code.

It is a 6-speed DSY

it had to be strong enough?

anyone know how important the oil cooler is
                  it is not just a problem with the heat if you run high speed for a long time?
                  yes is good enough ¡¡ it came from S4 B5 cars AFAIK

Comment

ok thanks...this is very clear information

imagine one day taking it off for rebuilding job... you could open it and upgrade it installing the flexible shaft and wider first gear,and also the gear ratios you want from the different 01E boxes... similar like an RS2 gearbox (CRB) but with the 6th gear from Audi 100 2.5TDI engine that is 0.56.... and you would have very good racing conditions gearbox and a very good 6th gear for "fuel economy" in the bored long travels
                    I have rebuilt GMG ( URS4 V8, narrow 1st, flexible) and DQT (A4 TDIq, wide 1st, flexible) 01E boxes. You need to have the wide 1st gear middle casing if you want to add that to the gearbox, the middle section has a bump to accomodate the wider gear.

Other than that, the gears, synchros and shift collars can be swapped over, Just keep in mind that the 3-4 gears are molded into the hollow shaft, so they have to come from the same box, 5 and 6 can be swapped from different ones.

Based on my little driving with TDI box, id use:
                    1 - 3,50 Wide 1st gear with flexible mainshaft, DQT
                    2 - 1.89 CMG
                    3 - 1.32 CMG
                    4 - 1.03 CMG
                    5 - 0.76 CET
                    6 - 0.56 or 0.60 DQT/FPN

All this with new sport syncros, new shifting collars and the oil pump for cooling/warming.

Wide vs narrow:

Comment

Zoig, and is it not better for you to keep the 0.86 gear in the 5th over the longer 0.76 and only use the 0.56 in the 6th for crusing with nice speed and low revs?

thanks for the picture and your knowledge

Comment

Zoig, and is it not better for you to keep the 0.86 gear in the 5th over the longer 0.76 and only use the 0.56 in the 6th for crusing with nice speed and low revs?

thanks for the picture and your knowledge
                        All depends on what do you plan to do with the car and what engine do you have.
                        For my chipped AAN, all avaliable 5th gear ratios are too long. TDI 4th is 0.87 and my engine seems to be too weak to be really useful for WOT fun, also the 60km/h is around 1900rpm. However the 5th Gear I currently have (0.67) is only usable beyond 60km/h, so I can rarely use it for light cruising in the town. I'd rather have one perfectly mached gear for city driving(5th), around 1500rpm @55km/h and one for highway (0.56), 1900rpm @100km/h.

0-200km/h in 1-4 gears is more than enough to have some fun in my UrS6 and i can also have economical cruising gears for both city and highway driving.

Comment

For my chipped AAN, all avaliable 5th gear ratios are too long. TDI 4th is 0.87 and my engine seems to be too weak to be really useful for WOT fun, also the 60km/h is around 1900rpm. However the 5th Gear I currently have (0.67) is only usable beyond 60km/h, so I can rarely use it for light cruising in the town. I'd rather have one perfectly mached gear for city driving(5th), around 1500rpm @55km/h and one for highway (0.56), 1900rpm @100km/h.

0-200km/h in 1-4 gears is more than enough to have some fun in my UrS6 and i can also have economical cruising gears for both city and highway driving.
                          yes its true if you think about fuel economy in city driving with 5th gear at 55km/h

i know in Estonia it is not very expensive to rebuild gearboxes

Comment

I have a tdi 01E EKM with flex and wide gear and oil cooler 0.56 in 6th and 3.88:1 final with urq rally diff. Probably the strongest oem drivetrain that fit in Typ85.

The 6th is amazing high only use it over 100km/h.

Comment

i know in Estonia it is not very expensive to rebuild gearboxes
                              It's free if you have some tools and you do it yourself

In my mind the perfect combo would be based on Allroad gearbox with the low-range transfer box: Frankenstein torsen or manually lockable front diff from UrS4 onto it - Fully lockable 4x4 with low range for the snow, and perfect ratios for the tarmac. A bit far-out, i know(Allroad boxes with low range are rare as hen's teeth anyways), but not impossible
                              Imagine the look on peoples faces, when you say that you car has 12 speed gearbox

Tbend, The 3.881 diff makes the 6th grear really too long, how many RPMs at 100km/h(62mph)?

Comment

Wide vs narrow:
                                What gears are you showing us? I understood the wide vs narrow was 1st gear issue and that first gear was an integral part of the main shaft, not a separate part.
                                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                                X