Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diff seals insertion depth RS2

Hi,
    I forgot to measure the depth of the old seals before taking them out. Now I'm not sure how far the new ones should go in. Any idea what's the insertion depth for both output seals?
    Thanks

I dont have a workshop manual that covers the avant diff specifically but the S4 and Coupe ones tell you to drive the seal in against stop using a specific Audi tool. So i dont know if the tool itself bottoms out to give the right depth or if the seal bottoms out in the housing. You might be able to see a groove worn into the flange that will help you figure it out.

Either way a small write up and pics would be appreciated as i will need to tackle this job myself in the future.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

It shouldn't matter, just make sure you drive it in straight and that the seal lip rides on a fresh part of the output flange shaft, or it could weep. Obviously oil round the seal lip when you insert the output flange
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mike's s2-audi.co.uk has a step by step guide with pictures on it, its great, I will find the link after work if somebody can't find it.

IIRC you just put it in straight, but not to the same depth as before in case there is a groove worn in the shaft.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

IIRC the driver's side is push in as far as the stop ridge. The N/S - the one with the diff lock actuator is 8mm in but I agree with the earlier comments that it wants to go in square far enough to sit on the output shaft flange, preferably on a new bit in case a ridge has worn in. It certainly doesn't want to be pushed all the way in like the one on the other side.

John

Comment

Right side against the seat according to Mike's guide.

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/r_diff_seal.htm
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Hi
              You're right. There are grooves on the flange shaft on both sides. I'll need to drive the seals in deeper.
              Thanks very much

Comment

Working...
              X