No announcement yet.

fwd torsen or lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just picked up a late 80s quattro box and rear diff. Can I use the locking rear diff in the gearbox doing the same thing?

I'm doing this for offroading rather than driving on the road.

MG

Comment

in 2wd audi boxes; to use in the back, as a sentralengine and box together; use the porsche lsd diff; they does fit right in.... i will post the PN for that; i i may find it...

Comment

Ive been told that the a porsche lsd will fit as they used an 016 typ box

Comment

This is sounding interesting, forgive my ignorance but how will this make a FWD car feel? Similar to the above comments?

Comment

I don't know about it on an Audi, but I had LSDs on both my BB2 Prelude an on my DC2 Integra and both handled as if on rails.

In fact, my DC2 ran 212bhp and could easily keep up point to point with my brothers chipped S2 coupe back in 99.

If there is an option for it, either one way or two way LSD is be interested too.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
              This is sounding interesting, forgive my ignorance but how will this make a FWD car feel? Similar to the above comments?
              Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
              I don't know about it on an Audi, but I had LSDs on both my BB2 Prelude an on my DC2 Integra and both handled as if on rails.

In fact, my DC2 ran 212bhp and could easily keep up point to point with my brothers chipped S2 coupe back in 99.

If there is an option for it, either one way or two way LSD is be interested too.

I'm also interested, wouldnt want a "rails" effect

Comment

Had a Quaife LSD in two Golf Gearboxes, one was rod change box and the second one was the stronger cable change box, each time worked well. Worth the expense and the effort. There were daily drivers.

Actually still have the 02m box after Quaife checked it over, it had a sixth speed installed and was fitted with semi straight cut gears from TSR back in the day, with the Quaife LSD, now resting in a storeroom, for years.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Differentials

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/quaife.htm

This one might be newer and better ? No idea though, posted in case it is of use.

http://www.autotech.com/product/wave....html?fromcat=

HTH.

Comment

a torsen type diff are generally better on the road they are a bit more civilised and act like an open diff under decelleration. You don't really want a 2 way LSD on the front axle (on a road car at least), you want it to unlock off power to help you initiate turns or it will be understeer / tramline city.
                  As said the TegR uses a torsen type diff and is probably the best handling FWD car money can buy and puts the power down very nicely.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
                    I would say you will want one in your coupe to make the power usable, 2wd goes 1 wheel drive very quickly with any power. Depends how you want to drive it though.

DC2 is lovely to drive, they feel so nimble, great steering feel and grip really well/pull out of corners, still slower than a 3b though
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I get all the stuff re LSD's but am still wondering about the diff-lock differential...

Will it fit in the gearbox?

MG

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                        I get all the stuff re LSD's but am still wondering about the diff-lock differential...

Will it fit in the gearbox?

MG
                        No! Will not fit! The shaft and the bearing is bigger on one side.

Comment

Working...
                        X