Transmission Backlash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Backlash

Been finding that there's a few more clunks whirrs and bangs on the old girl than there once was (not helped by the carpet still not being back in the car ) so thought I'd have a look on a ramp and see how much play there was in things what spin! While no individual component has an amount of movement that would concern me, the cumulative backlash from the rear wheels to the gearbox is noticeable... I guess I'm in no way on my own here and the only way to sort it is new CVs on all joints and a diff rebuild...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    Been finding that there's a few more clunks whirrs and bangs on the old girl than there once was (not helped by the carpet still not being back in the car ) so thought I'd have a look on a ramp and see how much play there was in things what spin! While no individual component has an amount of movement that would concern me, the cumulative backlash from the rear wheels to the gearbox is noticeable... I guess I'm in no way on my own here and the only way to sort it is new CVs on all joints and a diff rebuild...
    Yup, I have replaced, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, diff mounts, 360* snub mount, center prop bearing/mount, tried 3 different diffs and still have lash.

I do wonder about play in the gearbox/center diff internals as well.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Is lash the kick forward you get after having changed gear and come up on clutch?
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it's the transmission slack being taken up in each component to transmit drive to the wheels.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Oh ive got loads of that
          Think its something to do with my rear diff....
          sigpic

Comment

Yes - rear diff mounts x3, centre bearing, prop gearbox mounts x2, engine mounts x2, snub mount, CV joints x10, gearbox, differentials x3 ...
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I bought a spare rear diff and am currently having it fully rebuilt by JP Race Engineers at Silverstone to fix this lash issue. Will keep you posted.
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Yeah, there's certainly enough in that part alone.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Theres me thinking it was the sheer oomph of my S2
                  sigpic

Comment

The majority of this "shunt" is the play in the centre diff - nothing you can do about it unless you want to shell out for a new torsen!
                    Apparently the 2nd and 3rd gen TORsens don't seem to suffer as much as they have different helix angles on the worm gears, but the torque bias ratio is lower. I'm not sure if they are a straight fit into the CGR / CRB boxes - quite likely I recon.
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Shunt maybe. I'm hoping to get rid of the wub wub noise at low speed when stopping and turning etc
                      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Im really hoping alot of my shunt gets eliminated when my car is back on the road, ive replaced the following:
                        All diff mounts
                        All Gearbox mounts
                        All Engine mounts
                        All F+R Subframe mounts
                        All Wishbone Bushes
                        Diff and GB fluid.
                        But im not too hopeful, the diff has a fair bit of backlash. 2 other diffs i have aquired have had the same baclklash, so i dont think there is much i can do about that.
                        The only thing i havent done is CV's.

Fingers crossed anyway....
                        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Mine has just started clonking again at the back, the joys of the extra 200hp I guess..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

One of the old magazine articles about the s2 complained about the lash/shunt even when new.
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

mine has a fair bit but having changed everything under the car but to be honest the best cure is not to reallyrush the gearchanges as you would/could in a 2wd car....they S2 box doesnt like being rushed and there is definately less clunk and thunk when slowing them down a tad.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X