Transmission Backlash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
    Shunt maybe. I'm hoping to get rid of the wub wub noise at low speed when stopping and turning etc
    I often wonder why this happens, i get the same low frequency "wub wub" vibration when decelerating in my A4 quattro.

Centre torsen maybe?
    The ONLY S2 Golf!
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
    10.42@138mph
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Originally posted by gnutz2 View Post
      I often wonder why this happens, i get the same low frequency "wub wub" vibration when decelerating in my A4 quattro.

Centre torsen maybe?
      I do not think its the centre torsen as it sounds like it comes from the rear of the car.
      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

evey coupe ive ever drove including s2 and even my old b3 quattro 80 16v all chattered at low speed low load, and clunked at pick up of drive. making a mission of fixing this. but i beleive mine is in the diff/mounts.. huge slack in diff. will shim if i can get GOOD manual. people with big lag must hate it .. i do ..
        1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

It's not too technical to set the backlash. you need to redistribute the shims behind the outer bearing races.. but it will not solve the shunt unfortunately. Next time you are under the car, grab the prop shaft and turn it back and forth. Look at how far you have to turn the prop before the rear wheels move - very little I'll bet. Now look at the back of the gearbox / centre diff and turn the prop back and forth and see how far you have to turn it before you meet resistance - that's the lash in the centre diff which massively outweighs any lash in the rear diff
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i have not been under car yet.. just stuck arm in and rotated shaft. was the second thing i did when i viewed it.. first was hot air from blower lol. long story.. but is something i will chase down to the point of it getting ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ !! hope its not the center diff tho, im a very inquizative person lol.. dont fancy one of them on the kitchen counter at all

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvocsePIg4M

Comment

really noticing this in mine at the moment. Changed most of the usual suspects but not the cv's - pretty expensive hobby that one I'm sure
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have the same in my 1.8T A4 Quattro. year 97. The Audi stealers told me it was the gearbox wearing out, but im not so sure, had the diff rebuilt, still same problem, but i agree if you change gear in a slightly more stealthy way it does not happen. Im kind of use to it now and drive around it so to speak.

Comment

Its a down side of 4wd. You need play in most bits or it would just go bang . Thats why I normally lower a car to put more stress on untouched surfaces in the cv joints

Comment

i will be putting h&r's on mine when i get engine and tranny to a level im happy with.. just really dislike tran backlash.. many a hours overtime spent with artic diffs and box's .. but this quattro jazz is new to me.. what i cant get is the worm gear diffs in some speacialty rigs (ground clearance) never needed any repair at all. how often from NEW was the gear and diff oil supposed to be replaced in these s2's..

Comment

you need to read up on how a torsen diff works
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

you could tell me somthing 10 times and ill only remember/understand it when i have it in my hands.. lol

Comment

I reckon I can turn my propshaft 10 to 20 degrees before it meets resistance, there is a fair amount of play there.... The car drives really well with only a small amount of shunt if you are driving like my wife and side stepping the clutch as you change gear...
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

^^ my cq is the same but its very nigh mileage. If you switch from 1st/reverse and let the clutch out quickly it makes a very metallic "clunk" each way as it takes up slack. But to drive its not very noticeable as i have changed all the gearbox/engine/diff mounts over the years. If the engine/diff mounts are worn and letting things flop around it makes the shunt much more pronounced. Basically the transmission mounts should do there job and absorb the impact from the slack in the mechanical drive train, if that makes sense. As with all 5cyl Audis the front snub mount is key to reducing/eliminating drivetrain shunt. I advise everybody to upgrade to a sport quattro front sub mount, or one of Rustys kits which are very nicely made.
                              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Working...
                              X