Calibra DTM gearbox solution for longitudinal engine and 4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibra DTM gearbox solution for longitudinal engine and 4wd

I've often pondered a transfer solution that would deliver drive to the front axle without having the engine hanging out in front as per all audi quattros.

This is the gearbox that was used in the DTM Opel / Vauxhall Calibra of '96 to '97. From the small bit of information that is available online it was developed hand in hand with williams.

It achieved the goal of locating the engine at the centre of the axle rather than having it hang out infront. It is an unusual looking monster so I thought it was worth sharing in case someone has several hundred thousand pounds to spare to improve the balance of the quattro.

The engine was a V6 cosworth mounted longitudinally.

Shane

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...php?f=5&t=9364

some more photos and discussion on this link
    Shane

Comment

Ooooh thats freaky looking.! Looks like a transformer. Interesting way of going about it.

I think audi have edged the front drive further forward on the gearboxes of late, have a look on tonks v8 thread. Not quite the drastic move here, but certainly a cheaper option.
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

People have already done this. You can use a skyline box and move the engine rearward, then you need to move the steering rack and change the drive shaft set up.

Alot of work!
        Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
          People have already done this. You can use a skyline box and move the engine rearward, then you need to move the steering rack and change the drive shaft set up.

Alot of work!
          have any links?
          BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
          DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

Sorry not that I know of
            Chef

Comment

Nice link, totally forgot about the forum and has some good reads on there!

Comment

Guess people don't want to share everything
                Chef

Comment

it'd require massive surgery to fit in the gearbox & transfer box and the front diff is part of the sump assembly, plus I recon you'd need to move the bulkhead back to fit the engine in that far back! So never going to be an easy job, but the weight distribution would definately improve!
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Alot of work!
                    It looks a lot of work, it's not something I'd even consider doing in reality. If you ever see an I5 done I'd love to see a few photos.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    it'd require massive surgery to fit in the gearbox & transfer box and the front diff is part of the sump assembly, plus I recon you'd need to move the bulkhead back to fit the engine in that far back! So never going to be an easy job, but the weight distribution would definitely improve!
                    There'd be a lot of work alright. But you could also consider moving the axle forward by a few hunderd millimeters.
                    Shane

Comment

then you may as well just use the box from the B8 cars with the offset front diff
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by s2_wot View Post
                        http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...php?f=5&t=9364

some more photos and discussion on this link
                        This a top forum with very interesting stuff!
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Alot of work!
                          Shame there no links to this, I would like to know more
                          RS 2 580HP

Comment

Nothing new here, but another option from the KRB Trading URQ:

Lots of room up front; axles at about mid-engine

Some billet transfer cases:

Anyone seen the drivetrain setup in their SWB replica?

Comment

Yes, KRB uses a seperate front diff powered by a kind of PTO from the gearbox.
                              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27188

Comment

Working...
                              X