Whineing sound any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whineing sound any ideas

Hi lads i have now changed all the wheel bearings on the S2 and i have still got a whine noise coming from the rear of the car, now the bearings have been done it sounds louder than before they were done could it be the rear diff?

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
    Hi lads i have now changed all the wheel bearings on the S2 and i have still got a whine noise coming from the rear of the car, now the bearings have been done it sounds louder than before they were done could it be the rear diff?

thanks in advance.
    yes rear diffs are common for whining,what sort of mileage has it done?best off looking for a cheap 7a one and swap the flanges over,although 7a rear diffs aren't as easy to find as they were sadly.

Comment

If you get stuck I have a 7a rear diff for sale, just pm me.

Comment

Was your wife on the back seat ?

Comment

Comment

I was quoted ÂŁ240 to rebuild a rear diff with new bearings, which isn't that bad I don't think. Its quite a bit of work to do at home and the bearings themselves cost over ÂŁ100 quid. At least then you would be sure of a good diff, decent ones are getting harder to find and none of them are getting any younger
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The car is on 111,352 miles why is the 7a better than the one on the car is it stronger? whats the best course of action refurb or second hand 7a diff. money is tight at the momment just bought 996 gt3 calipers, ds2500 pads and ml500 discs and bambridge brkts on their way plus goodridge hoses, ouch.

Comment

Diff whine

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
                The car is on 111,352 miles why is the 7a better than the one on the car is it stronger? whats the best course of action refurb or second hand 7a diff. money is tight at the momment just bought 996 gt3 calipers, ds2500 pads and ml500 discs and bambridge brkts on their way plus goodridge hoses, ouch.
                .... Sawdust ??
                Audi S2 Coupe 1995
                VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
                VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
                Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Don't worry Ray it doesn't sound urgent. Try changing the oil that normally quietens them down.
                  The 7A diff is the same as the S2 bar the output flanges and they generally get less abuse than S2 ones so tend to have less wear. Trouble is there is less of them than S2s
                  I would go refurb personally if you intend to keep the car, its another box ticked of things you don't need to worry about replacing again.
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers Alex where would i get the bearings from? i have tried to change the oil cant get the plugs out iv bought new ones from Tps ready but they are stuck tight don,t know how to shift them. The garage that tried have mashed the plugs so can,t even get a allen key socket in there now f---ing nightmare.

Comment

Id never recommend changing the bearings yourself unless you have done a few an have a massive press. Plus like alex says get it done properly and any problems ta
                      ke it back,

Comment

what about tyres? what brands have you got on?
                        i've been working in the trade for a few years now and it's also a common problem - mainly because people buy cheap tyres...
                        '93 S2 Avant breaking
                        '95 S6 Avant sold
                        '83 80 Quattro SWB
                        '85 90 Quattro
                        '85 200 Quattro 10V sold

Comment

The tyres are not the best iv seen they are brand new the last guy put new wheels and tyres on prior to selling the car, one of them wheel and tyre deals,never heard of the brand before.

they are called ( sunfull )

Comment

Sunfull "Ditchfinders"
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

They sure are ditchfinders!
                              I would recommend trying a different set of wheels before you buy or replace anything else...
                              '93 S2 Avant breaking
                              '95 S6 Avant sold
                              '83 80 Quattro SWB
                              '85 90 Quattro
                              '85 200 Quattro 10V sold

Comment

Working...
                              X