diff bushes and seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff bushes and seals

alright im busy replacing my rear diff bushes and seals but im come to a few issues 1st off audi have sold me the wrong seal for the lhd side rear diff output flange. and they cant find the right one does anyone have a part number or know where i can get one

secondly the bush on the rear of the diff was totaly shot so im not sure which way the bush goes in as the new bushes hole is off centre anyone know which way it goes ie hole nearest to the back or front

last of all is there any easy way to re attach the diff off the prop as i just split the cv joint to get it off

cheers john

ps my car is a aby coupe if that makes a difference

you have got the wrong rear diff bush, the OE one is not offset, sounds like they've given you one for a URq or Type 85 quattro maybe?
    If so that's probably why they've sold you the wrong seals too!

diff seals are:
    017 525 400 A [big one]
    016 409 399 B [small one]

Rear bush (only available complete with alloy housing) 895 599 125

There was talk that you could get an engine mount off a Mk1 golf that could be fitted to the alloy housing instead of replacing the whole thing.. that might even be what you've got there!

HTH
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      you have got the wrong rear diff bush, the OE one is not offset, sounds like they've given you one for a URq or Type 85 quattro maybe?
      If so that's probably why they've sold you the wrong seals too!

diff seals are:
      017 525 400 A [big one]
      016 409 399 B [small one]

Rear bush (only available complete with alloy housing) 895 599 125

There was talk that you could get an engine mount off a Mk1 golf that could be fitted to the alloy housing instead of replacing the whole thing.. that might even be what you've got there!

HTH
      You will be fine using the offset mount, can't remember which way to do it though, but you will easily see by just looking at your existing moun t in situ.

I *think* it needs to be mounted so the hole is towards the rear...

If you but a "rear diff mount" from quattrocorner, you get the offset one...

This does avoid the extra cost of the complete unit in the housing.

Chris
      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

John,

I have just replaced my diff seals as part of my sub frame refurb.

When I bought the seals from Audi, they told me that there were only 3 remaining of the large one so don't delay in ordering it !!

Wasn't cheap either.

Martin

Comment

there's an arrow on the diff bush pointing in the direction of travel
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

all back together thanks for the input. i ended up not doing the large seal after 4 phone calls n no joy. the bush i got was wrong as it was .03" bigger than the bore in the alloy housing got it sorted in the end though was a nightmare getting the diff back on the prop again
            its made a huge difference doing the mounts just makes me realise how badly the other bushes need doing anyone know any decent places to get engine mounts and subframe bushes ( and all the others i could do with doing)

cheers john

Comment

Glad you are sorted, its not much fun juggling the prop, the driveshafts, the rear diff mount, getting the side one over and holding up the diff whilst trying to push the exhaust over.

I got my gearbox and diff mounts from this guy on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-COUPE...item46031cff20

I did check the price from the dealer first, and bid on a few before I got them for a price I wanted, as sometimes his stuff goes for more than you can buy from the dealer.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

cool thanks il see what he has

Comment

Working...
                X