Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Driveshaft angles, discussion/help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Driveshaft angles, discussion/help?!

i will be moving my engine and gearbox back in my A4 about 4 inches, how could i or is it possible to still utilize the front driveshafts with so much of an angle?

would Lobro joints be an answer?

any thoughts would be good,

RWD does not scare me with the power that will be involved but not so good on the strip

regards Sean.
    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

There is a gearbox that you can buy that moves the front driveshafts forward by quite a bit.

Comment

yeah the B8 gearboxes are the ones to look out for. They also use the 60/40 split centre diff so its a BOGOF upgrade
      4" is a lot IMHO you will loose a lot of the range of articulation, I would be concerned if it would have enough movement with a lot of lock on and at high suspension deflection, i.e. midway through a hairpin?
      Regardless it will shorten the life of the joint considerably as it will be running hot all the time due to the continual high misalignment.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

youll need longer ones thats for sure
        BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
        DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

And where do you put the steering rack? Or does the B5 have a lower mounted version like for instance the BMW E30 has?

Comment

B5 is behind the forward bulkhead, so you can't move the engine far enough to interfere with it without major surgery
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

the suspension will all be in the same place, the thing im bothered about is as Alex (i think thats your name Error ) said, Articulation,

if the gearbox moves rearwards the shafts will indeed be longer, not an issue, but the angles in which Constant Velocity is then distributed Via will be so acute that a section may have to be machined from the shaft arround the joint to give it enough clearance to turn, for instance like a wobbly 3/8 extension bar! >>>>>

the B8 g/box wouldnt help i dont think, as height isnt the issue its distance, heres a pic of my current position of engine,

i will be moving the engine/box backwards by 4 inches, give or take. see what im trying to get at?

i think the B8 will just move the shafts up, not helping the forward reach?

if im wrong thinking that, then say so.
              im all up for any ideas, and the g/box is getting changed anyways!

Cheers, Sean.

Comment

looking for B8 gearbox pics (that might be an option it may seem, with FWD bellhousing!)

found this, Stunning!

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55261

Comment

Theres a cutaway schematic and a link to a project using an 0B4 in this thread
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

if i can find someone that does staright cut gears for the OB4 i will use one of them, if not im making **** fit lol

watch this space

Comment

Quoting myself about mentioning you in another thread about the same issue
                      Originally posted by quattro84 View Post
                      Does ask for a special flywheel/clutch setup looking at the transfer shaft through the bellhousing:

Like this Polish member dithttp://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52932

Perhaps Sleeper_Avant can give some insight in what the 4wd Cossies used, they have the engine far back as well.

Comment

in what the 4wd Cossies used, they have the engine far back as well.
                        I thought it was chocolate boxes in the 4wd's? the 2wd boxes are quite stong compared to some.

Comment

2wd are Mustang V8 boxes from the 70`s! Borg warner, change too quick and you change quicker than the sychros lol

4x4 good for about 350/350 then its just a lottery to be fair, 2wd 500/500 all day if looked after

were on supra TT rear diffs and skyline 6sp boxes nowdays with conversion plates and 6 degree rear beams

think i will go supra diff if i am RWD in my Avant.

i just dont think that ****** bar will take the abuse i want to provide!

dog box, RWD supra diff, job jobbed, innit bruv

Comment

Audi A5 quattro gearbox with the flanges right out front.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Getriebe-Scha...item5894b98cc3
                            Shane

Comment

Working...
                            X