01E shifter filled by bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01E shifter filled by bullet

until today I didn't know that shifters are filled by small balls of bullet. this is reason why they are so heavy.
    I have to cut urs4 (01E) gearbox shifter to make them longer for 8cm . this is for my s8 project.
    for every one who didn't know that here is few pictures;
    regards
    Igor

I don't think the lead shot was OE. It was an aftermarket "trick" AFAIK.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

no my friend .. I took this shifter from car , and this is OEM. shifter and plastic around them was newer opened before I came to take it.
      tomorow I can cut one shifter from 200 20v and take a look.
      this lead prevent you to shift easier , just like sword have ballast near the handler.

Comment

It's true, fitted from stock for a lot of German cars from this era. Gives it more feel during the throwing action.
        That's why new cars with plastic levers suck, no feeling whatsoever...

Comment

Originally posted by quattro84 View Post
          It's true, fitted from stock for a lot of German cars from this era. Gives it more feel during the throwing action. ...
          Hmm...the NAmerican UrS cars shift rods were seemingly not filled with lead shot from the factory AFAIK. Several owners have added lead bird shot to their shift rods to improve the shift feel (mass/momentum, whatever).
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Also damps out vibration. Its a trick used on mortorbike handlebars.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Anybody know if an S2 shift rod has anything inside it? Curious to try this now, except our local supermarkets dont sell shotgun cartridges
              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

S2 shifters are the same I cut three up. Newsh sumed it up pretty well
                Chef

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  Hmm...the NAmerican UrS cars shift rods were seemingly not filled with lead shot from the factory AFAIK. Several owners have added lead bird shot to their shift rods to improve the shift feel (mass/momentum, whatever).
                  b5s4 01e linkage did have it for sure, i personally found that out. (stateside)

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    I used a NeuS4 shifter rod to connect to the 01e 6-speed transmission in my eS2 conversion, (cut, rotate shifter mount, re-weld. The end of the rod had a silicone like plug in the end of it. When removed I discovered that the rod was filled with a fine bird shot substance as noted in the above pictures. I poured it back in and sealed the end with silicone after modifying.
                    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

I will do the same tommorow when weld it together. but my new shifter will be longer for 8cm, than have to find more bullet and fill it again.
                      hope that 200 20v shifter have it.

Comment

Working...
                      X