Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 quattro to S2 Driveline swap

Hi all,

I have a recently acquired 3B S2 with the usual gearbox noise, and I've just noticed what I thought was the rear wheel bearing might be the diff, as it is leaking oil and is likely to be empty. Long story short, the whole driveline needs work.

I also have a 2.8V6 coupe quattro with engine problems, which I can use as a donor car... The gearbox is in pretty good condition...

The big question is:

will the gearbox and diff from the V6 CQ fit the S2, and what difference to the overall ratio will I see?

Cheers!

Nobody tried this?

From what I am reading, it sounds like:

a) there is no physical difference between the 01A gearbox cases in my V6 and S2 as they both have the double bolt pattern

b) the V6 will be a different ratio. Not sure what this is though?

c) as long as I change both the gearbox and the rear diff, there shouldn't be any problems regarding the torsen center diff.

So I'll give it a go and report back.

Comment

I cant really help you with anything but by the sounds of it you have done your research and answered your own questions
      Keep us updated on this

Comment

yes you can do it, it will bolt on BUT the V6 final drive ratio is different. So you would need to change the gearbox and the rear diff together.
        The V6 gearbox has longer ratios due to the smaller rev range, but to be fair its probably not far off the 3B which has very long ratios compared to the 7A 5 speed for example - you can obviously check these details. HTH
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Excellent, I was hoping that would be the case... I'm going to change both gearbox and diff together as I'm sure the gearbox is ruined and the diff is suspect so why not....

I hear fuel pipes are good to do while the diff is out, and I guess a rear subframe refurb wouldn't be a bad idea either! Are the rear subframes interchangable V6 / S2, or is this wishful thinking? (mine looks like it's been under the sea for the last 5 years!)

Comment

Yeah rear subframe is a straight swap. Fuel and brake lines will never be easier to do. Clutch while the box is off, gearbox and diff mounts, subframe bushes, etc
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
            X