No announcement yet.

Can't select gears ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had the exact same problem with an old 100 saloon, its been parked about a month and when I went to move it today I couldn't get any gears, can select all gears when the engine is off. Cant see any leaks anywhere and it ran perfectly before it was parked up?

The car will move if I start it in gear but thats it.

Doing my head in as its an immaculate car that I spent a fair bit of money on yet for what it is its hardly worth fixing a major gearbox/clutch problem. Will be trying to get to the bottom of it this week.

Comment

I had the same problem. I was just a broken pressure plate
      Attached Files
      1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Happened to my S6 few months back, cluch split from the middle, expanded and locked itself onto the pressure plate, i was hoping for something small...

Comment

i had that problem. was seized cluth release bearing and slave cylinder
          Ryan

I Can........But i probably wont

Comment

If the fluid had leaked out the pedal would go to the floor and stay there, I'm betting the pressure plate has failed

(or maybe something gone wrong with the linkage between pedal and master cyl?..)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              ... (or maybe something gone wrong with the linkage between pedal and master cyl?..)
              Something like this C4 UrS pedal?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

My clutch pedal goes to the floor and does not return, although there does seem to be a little resistance

Comment

Did you check your fluid?
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
                    I had the same problem. I was just a broken pressure plate
                    what make plate is that ??
                    1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Metal clip broke on mine no warning and nothing wrong with clutch.. Clip was on pressure plate...

Comment

Update,

When the gearbox was removed we found that there was wear on the splines (normal) but excessive wear on the bearing washer. In combination there was not enough movement to activate the clutch. In the end I would put it down to a thrust bearing failure, the friction plate had enough meat on it.

new clutch, bearing and actuating lever fitted and all ok again.

thanks for the input.

Paul

Comment

I had the same problem in mine, when I took the gearbox out it turned out to be a combined worn pressure plate a worn thrust bearing.

Search for "I Think My Clutch has just given up the Ghost" in the transmission topics and you should see pics of them.
                          1996 Audi S6 Avant.
                          1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Working...
                          X