Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1&2 gear hard to shift (01E DSY)

Hello!

Have some shifting problems with my DSY 01E lately.

Clutch is a Southbend DXD-SS Stage 3 Drag. Clutch was/is fine. Bud after trying some launches i thought it was getting a little sticky. When up-sifting at high rpm te gearbox grinds a little. And on down-shifting it grinded harder.

As i thought is was because the clutch was a little sticky i was driving the car on a relatively normal way and hoped the stickiness would worn off.

After some driving it got better but not perfect. I did bleed the clutch but that didn't help. Still had some things i would try before pulling the trans but now this hapend:

It shifts really hard in second and first gear. All others are fine including the reverse.
    Because it was also with the engine off i did not suspect the clutch. The shifting mechanism is perfect. So i did some resource and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etE85I8aKSs

Anyone has any experience with this problem? I never heard off this!
    1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Isn't there a well-know issue with the 1-2 shift collar on the DSY/EDU transmission?
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Forgive my ignorance,but what car is this in.

Comment

An S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          Isn't there a well-know issue with the 1-2 shift collar on the DSY/EDU transmission?
          Hy UrS4boy.
          After i did the post i read the 'Gearbox rebuild kits' thread. Very interesting! Found this:
          http://www.advancedautomotion.com/pr...roducts_id=294

Seems to by a common problem indeed . Never heard of it before.

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
          Forgive my ignorance,but what car is this in.
          Sorry its in a S2 Avant.

Comment

Also interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNDF...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
              Also interesting!
              Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Just ordered the JHM-Performance full rebuild kit!
                Hopefully i have some time to install it next month....

Comment

Just an idea but to potentially save yourself $1,000 and lots of work have you tried this?

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=selector

It's made a massive difference in mine and I was suffering similar 'symptoms'

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse1210 View Post
                    Just an idea but to potentially save yourself $1,000 and lots of work have you tried this?

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=selector

It's made a massive difference in mine and I was suffering similar 'symptoms'
                    Hy,

Tanks for the input. I have all-ready replaced the shifter some time ago. It also shifts very hard if tried directly on the gearbox.

Comment

I think the way to identify the problem is pulling off the shifter linkage from the gearbox and try to shift it directly from the forks.

I had some hard shifting in any gears especially reverse when hot.They only do when the car is running but shift flawlessly when engine off.

I have bled the clutch line for hundred time.spent 10L of brake fluids,different bleeding solutions.Finally,

i decided to pull off the gearbox and had inspected on the clutch and ended up sending it to grind down the DMFW and flat-out,recalibrate the clearance

between the pressure plate and DMFW surface.I have SS Endurance 3+ clutch which it seems having some problems with the stock DMFW

clearance.now it's doing great in any gears.recently i started looking to upgrade my 5speed CBD which has been known to be the weakest

01E gearbox to the EDU 6 speed gearbox.surprisingly,i found tons of infos mentioned about the 1-2 shift collars issue as you've seen on the youtube.

i remember someone said 1-2shift collars issue happens on any 01e gearboxes not only EDU,DSY(from B5 S4,A6 2,7TT) even the Eurovan Tdi gearbox

will be likely to do so.some abusive launching from standstill is way to kill the gearbox.I feel 01E gearbox is so notchy instinctively.HTH.
                      one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Received the parts very fast and fitted them last weekend!
                        Job was not to difficult if you have the jhmotorsports DVD!
                        Just donĀ“t fit the new shift collar the wrong way around or you can take the hole box apart again . Glad i tested all the gear before fitting it to the car!
                        Attached Files

Comment

great job

do you need any special tools to strip and rebuild the gearbox

Comment

Yes there are some special tools required.
                            -Hydraulic press
                            -Good snap-ring pliers
                            -Long jaw pullers
                            -Home made press tool for torsen diff case.
                            -Not really necessary but heady a heat gun

Comment

Hmm is it the same gearbox in my S6 -95 2.2t that has 6 speeder?
                              1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                              2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                              2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

Working...
                              X