Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same noise with a rebuilt edu as well

Comment

I have those noise on some 01E too.it's kinda slight knocking noise inside the box and gone when depress the clutch.
      I first guess it was TOB but it didn't.noise is from inside the box.besides of the noise,the gearbox is just fine.atleast
      On my old 5speed 01E.it's last for over 300,000kms and still going strong.shift smooth on any gears.
      one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

An update on this. So I was running a rebuilt by someone else rs2 box in my urs4. It started of with a slight noise in third gear just on the overrun and an oil leak. I fixed the oil leak by changing the oil seal on the prop shaft flange. The noise in third overrun went away over 5 k miles. It was only slight to start with so I am thinking the box had a 3rd gear replaced and it took a while running in. Don't know, but its a good box now.

Anyhow I didn't like the Sachs race engineeing 4 puck sintered clutch. It was slightly heavy but I could live with that ok. It was its engagement I couldnt get on with. It's was so snatchey and noisy, jerky, rough etc. It really spoiled the car and make the urs4 feel like a race car. It's not a race car. So I had a twin plate full face Kevlar made. I decided to fit it yesterday and 90 minutes after getting the car on the ramp the gearbox was out and I was swapping flywheels and clutches.

I fitted one of the gearboxes I built that had tdi 1st and 2nd gears, which are lower than s2 and v8 3rd through to 6th which are slightly higher than rs2. Anyhow the clutch is a great improvement and I'm glad I swaped it. A side effect was the modified 7a flywheel that goes with the twin plate clutch changed my timing by advanceing it by 2.5 degrees. I could hear some ping so I had to tweak vems to compensate.

Anyhow back to the gearbox. The lower 1st and second is really good round town. There is a more noticeable step into third but 1st second and third are more evenly spaced now. I always felt there was a huge step from 1st to second on stock s2 boxes. The higher 5th and 6th are nice on the motorway. 3k rpm in 6th shows 83 mph which is a real 81 mph. The only slight problem is that there is a very slight wine in third and fourth. I think this is due to the gears being from different pairs. So the driven 3rd and 4th are from one box and the driver 3 rd and 4th from another. I think this will likely run in and should reduce. It's only slight now so its not a problem. Gear changes are nice with no roughness or crunching. So overall I would say its been a big sucess as I now have a box with better ratios and the strongest first with flex shaft and wide gear. Also it has the oil pump for a cooler should I ever need it.

Cheers des.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
        Attached Files

Comment

Well impressed. Good work.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Anyone fitted a taller .6 6th gear ?
            About to overhaul my CGR and as its in my series 2 the present 6th is only giving 23.3mph/1000rpm so like to fit a 6th from the 2.5TDi 6 speed 5 cyl, or a.n. other thats suitable. Any info appreciated
            1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
            2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
            2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

As above I'm using the 6th from a v8 gearbox which is taller. 81-83 mph is 3 k rpm in 6th. Its nice with the stroker as it has plenty of grunt to pull the higher gear but a Tdi 6th from a 2.5 would be too tall in my opinion. 3k rpm would be about 100 mph. Its very tall. It would fit easy though...

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

It makes up for the smaller tyres on a type 85 car, that's why the tdi box would work I guess.

Comment

Ok smaller wheels and tall gears could be good.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Thanks for posting diesel des.
                      When is my car cold and outside temp is 10 deg celzius or colder and engine is still cold too, shifting from first to second gear is little bit harder. When is engine warm and in sommer I dont have this symptoms. Is this normal?
                      Oil is new 75w/90 API 4
                      1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Maybe your first to second shift collar is slightly damaged. I would wait until it gets untollerable as it's a fair job to change.

Comment

Your car shifting fine even is cold? I always thought maybe it is problem in cold oil. Thats not good
                          Cheers
                          1-2-4-5-3

Comment

Sure everything is better when at normal temperature but it shouldn't be significantly different.

Comment

Thanks mate. First I will try with another oil. Now I use valvoline. I wish you luck with your gearbox
                              1-2-4-5-3

Comment

A question for you guys who have split a few boxes. I have an 01E waiting to go into my car. I was told it was fine when it came out of the last car, but have no real idea as to how OK it really is. I've checked the oil and it looks clean. The three magnets in the diff housing had no chunks on them either. Whilst moving it today, I've noticed it has some lateral play on the input shaft and some radial play also. Is this normal? I'm assuming this may be an issue with the input shaft taper bearing. The expensive one!
                                91 Modded 3B
                                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                                X