Propshaft centre mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft centre mount

Has anyone ever had to change the mount which supports the propshaft just in front of the flexi joint in the middle?
    I have quite a loud banging/knocking noise coming from under the handbrake area when there is no drive going through the system. It sounds like the mount has loads of play in it which is letting the propshaft move about quite a bit, or something that is really loose somewhere.
    I took the big heatshield off to have a look yesterday. I take it there should be no play at all. I have a good 5mm movement when moving the prop to the left and right.
    I thought maybe one of the bolts which holds the drive flanges in the gearbox had come loose but ive checked them and they are ok.

martin

There is a certain BMW propshaft bearing that fits straight on our cars.I thought the bearing from audi was one with the shaft...

I'll try to find some more info on that.

cheers
    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

Comment

I have a BMW E34 518 mount. It's a straight fit but with limited adjusting capabilities. But hell, that's why there are CV joints!
      -

Comment

didnt know that one at all. which bearing is it that it fits, any pics?

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

yeah i'd be interested in a how to and some pics on that pls if you have any?
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

http://20v.org/drvshaft.htm

??

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

It's all in Finnish but hope these help

http://porkkis.5cyl.net/s2/gallery/20031212/
              -

Comment

cheers, makes things alot clearer. Any idea why some had a carbon fibre driveshaft? Why would they have changed it?
                Greg

Comment

Because of the cost. I've heard that some t89q coupes had carbon fiber shafts. It's not ment to be a performance part but a safety one as it snaps rather than forces itself in the cabin in chain collision etc...
                  -

Comment

Center mount from a e21 BMW 315 is a almost straight fit. You may have to file the bolt holes a bit bigger but that's it. The BMW part has same dimensions as the original, the propshaft even lined up correctly without doing any adjustments from the original set up.
                    BMW part number for that center mount is 26 11 1 206 502 or Febi part # 05196. The Febi part was about 35euros here in Finland.

I know this because I did a propshaft overhaul in november. I changed that center mount, rear cv joint and the middle u-joint. Before the overhaul my car had an annoing little shake when moving but now it's gone and my propshaft is like new again.

Comment

How can you tell if an overhaul is needed, are there any warning signs?
                      Greg

Comment

Thanks a lot, i guess i'll have to get one ordered then. But knowing my luck this noise i have is something else like a shafted gearbox :-{

Greg, does the gearbox have to be completely removed for a clutch change? if so, i reckon i should look for another gearbox to refit if i change the clutch at the garage meet.
                        I guess 215k miles has taken its toll on the current one, especially with the recent power hike.

Comment

its a choice of lifting the engine or dropping the gearbox to change the clutch. Dont forget you will need a new spigot bearing too and maybe a new rear crank seal if the original one is weeping. I will have a word with my dad at the garage and see what he reckons and let you know.

Greg
                          Greg

Comment

Ok, thanks Greg.

Comment

Working...
                            X