Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 speed onto 7A engine what parts are needed please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed onto 7A engine what parts are needed please?

I'm doing a classic car rally next year in France in my Coupe Quattro 20V and wish to fit a 6 speed gearbox into my 1990 Coupe Quattro 20V. it's the same shape as the S2 but non turbo and has the 7A engine.
    My current 5 speed gearbox has horrible front diff noise. I also wish to improve the economy as I have 2000 miles to travel in a week!

Parts list:
    6 speed box,
    maybe matching differential if the ratio is different..
    Dual mass flywheel?
    gear linkage
    if anyone can help with information please, Corey Pm'd me with a list of parts required about 10 years ago but I can't find it...

David

If I were you I'd rather to use 01A ARV 5speed box from S2 3b

Just will be a direct replacement and you'll improve your fuel economy with the longer ratios

By the way,I've one for sale if you want
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

back!

Gearbox, subframe, mounts, prop and linkage for a 6 speed conversion. Works fine with a 7A flywheel and clutch.

As Rocco says, 3B is the same top gear and should work with all the existing parts.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        back!

Gearbox, subframe, mounts, prop and linkage for a 6 speed conversion. Works fine with a 7A flywheel and clutch.

As Rocco says, 3B is the same top gear and should work with all the existing parts.
        Don't forget that you will also need front axles as the 7a has smaller inner joints & different lengths.
        Chris
        "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have an Audi 90 Quattro box in the garage that I bought about 10 years ago from Spink. If I recall the first gear was taller than the silly low coupe version. Does anyone know the ratios for 5th on both boxes at all please?

David

Comment

need the tranny code to have the ratio sorted out: betvenn, or beside the too upper boltholes in bellhousing.. its stamped in: fx... CBL 12345 or AHA 34567.. its ratio, and year, an type of car...

Comment

Hi David!

Good to hear you still have the coupe

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Caterpillar, My car is an Audi Coupe Quattro 20v, 7A engine but not sure of the transmission. I seem to recall you were building a stroker engine to go in a VW transporter.

Hi John, Yes, I'm still alive, the coupe hasn't moved since 2004. Time has come though.
                Nice to be back. I've missed the great level of technical support this forum offers.
                I'm also trying to build a new Eaton m45 supercharged midget engine to go in my Morris Minor rally car...

And earn a living....
                David

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
                  need the tranny code to have the ratio sorted out: betvenn, or beside the too upper boltholes in bellhousing.. its stamped in: fx... CBL 12345 or AHA 34567.. its ratio, and year, an type of car...
                  CBL's were the 6 spd 01E's in the UrS4s that didn't get the CBD 5 spd. Here is one post on that topic:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/184736.phtml

I think the CBL ratios are the same as the CBM ratios (at least some of them). Here is a link with most of the 01E ratios (Note: Almost all 01Es are 37/9 crown/pinion = 4.11 to 1 ratio final drive):

http://12v.org/urs/charlie_smith/01E/index.htm
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Hi David

Good to see you back on the forum

I had an 01E on my cq20v. Most of the info is detailed above.

A few things to consider: 01E linkage and gearbox mounts are hard to come by and expensive. Therefore you might want to consider making your own mounts, which would mean you could retain your existing 5 speed subframe and build the mounts to suit.
                    Gear linkages are like rockin horse **** and sell for strong money. There is no rebuild kit for them and most as well past their best. Therefore its worth considering using a B5 or later linkage which IMHO is a superior design and can be made to work with some basic modifications. These linkages can be bought cheaply and rebuilt. If you decide to use the S2/RS2 linkage, you'll need the gear lever with reverse lock-out as well as the rest of the linkage.
                    You'll need to modify the clutch line to your slave cylinder so it clears the linkage, or use one from an ABY / ADU car.
                    You'll need to extend the wiring harness for the reverse light witch and speed sensors on the gearbox, as they are in a different place on the 01E.
                    If you can't find an ABY coupe prop you can use the front half of an ABY avant prop, mated to the rear half of your 5speed prop. Or get your prop shortened & re-balanced - I know a place not far from you in Holmes Chapel that will do a nice job )
                    You'll need S2/RS2 front driveshafts - will be a straight fit into your hubs and the 01E.

HTH
                    Alex
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I have the 6 speed in my 3B. You can use your subframe with the S2/RS2 gearbox mounts with the addition of a spacer on one side between mount and subframe.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Old thread but I'm hoping someone with some experience of a 5-speed to 6-speed conversion might be able to shed some light on an issue that has been causing me headaches for months now. I fitted a six speed box, linkage and gearbox mount spacer to my S2 whilst rebuilding the engine. Now I've been stuck trying to adjust the linkage for ages from inside and underneath the car. (not much fun when doing this by yourself with no useful assistant!) I must have crawled under the car and back out to test the gearchange a thousand times and got absolutely nowhere. I could select a pair of gears but couldn't adjust the linkage to easily get four out of the six cogs available via the selector mechanism. The left to right movement on the gearstick felt sticky. It also felt like the gear selector wanted to select gears at a slight angle and not front to aft. Today I decided enough was enough and pulled the engine out to get the box forwards to take a look at what was happening. A bit of background on the scenario: All used 2nd hand parts from unknown heritage, however sold as S2 parts. The linkage has been rebuilt with new bushes and a new knuckle joint from Alex, This moves smoothly and the linkage rods don't look to have been bent or damaged (other than a small amount of material I tried grinding off when I was under the car and thought I could feel something rubbing on the linkage. Now I have the box out and the selector in place I can see the issue. The selector rod is binding badly on the gearbox casing and spider plate. I'm guessing I have a mismatch of parts or the selector rod is pretty bent. pics below for reference. Any suggestions other than bending the selector rod? I really don't want to do this if it isn't necessary as these parts are like hens teeth and I'd rather not f**k up a good part unnecessarily

IMG_2179 (1).JPG
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

IMG_2178(1) (1).JPG
                          91 Modded 3B

Comment

IMG_2181(1).JPG

If I provide the selector with a bit of clearance from the gearbox casing it's miles out of centre for the gear lever at the rear. Ignore the worn looking section by the casing, this was me grinding a little off the rod to see if I could provide some clearance. There we no marks on the selector rod to suggest it had been rubbing on anything previously. I guess a front end bump would potentially bend the selector rod as it has nowhere to go when the gearbox moved backwards from a decent front end impact. There is reference to a spacer which may be used with the spider plate. I have the spacer as I bought one in the past, but it doesn't look to be required as all the mounting surfaces line up without it.
                            91 Modded 3B

Comment

its not the right bit that steve. iirc its pretty straight the s2 part. changed from a 6a to an aby in my saloon. its been a while but that looks a bit like the saloon 5 speed rod. it looked like it had been run over. i found a number of very small, sometimes not visible to the eye differences between parts from early saloon and aby. eg steering gator is like 4mm or so smaller on saloon to aby????? go figure

Comment

Working...
                              X