Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B4 Quattro conversion. What parts I can use from B3 or B5 quattro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B4 Quattro conversion. What parts I can use from B3 or B5 quattro?

I have had my fwd B4 for 4 years. After I read that it is possible and quite easy to convert FWD into quattro I thought I should do it. But there are no B4 quattro parts or even body shells for sale in my country and I don't have 1000+ euro for a new car, so I thought maybe I can take something from B3 or B5 to convert my fwd B4 into quattro. In my country they always say sell your current and buy new one, but here people have built many of those and hopefully can help me with finding suitable parts.

So I would like to know what parts I can take from B3 or B5 as there are a lot of B5 quattros for parts. All I know and found from forum is that I must take fuel tank from B4. Also read that B5 quattro rear end fits B4, but is it true? Diff looks quite different, but what about gearbox, propshaft, driveshafts, suspension and brakes?

Any information about those parts compatibility is useful to me

Currently having 2.0 8v engine, but in the future I would like to go for 1.8T.
    Last edited by Kermps; 9 December 2013, 14:28.

If you don't have b4 coupe then forget about using parts from b3 in your conversion.
    5vtq gte

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have sedan.

Comment

You can use a b5 quattro as a donor. The complete rear suspension and fuel tank, and also the gear box, not sure if the center drive shaft is the same.

Probably easier to buy a quattro 80

Comment

Hi

Cant use a B5 quattro fiel tank........different shape
          Also rear hubs have a different hub offset than the B4 setup
          The rear wheels will stick out of the rear arches.......

Just what I found out on parts swop over

Cheers
          John

Comment

Originally posted by JMLAudi View Post
            Hi

Cant use a B5 quattro fiel tank........different shape
            Also rear hubs have a different hub offset than the B4 setup
            The rear wheels will stick out of the rear arches.......

Just what I found out on parts swop over

Cheers
            John
            The tanks are the same, and the wheels will not stick out the arches, I swapped over b5 rear end when I did 5x112 conversion

Comment

Originally posted by vag_nutter View Post
              The tanks are the same, and the wheels will not stick out the arches, I swapped over b5 rear end when I did 5x112 conversion
              Are you sure about fuel tank? I found a thread where Acidburn wrote that B5 fuel tank won't fit B4, because the shape of a neck is a bit different. But if it fits, then I already have one offer for a B5 fuel tank.

Comment

B3 won't work, as it's a totally different design.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanks for replies

So far I know that I can use following parts from B5 Quattro:
                  *Gearbox
                  *Suspension
                  *Hubs and Brakes

What I must take from B4 Quattro:
                  *Fuel tank

But following parts still need more information or confirmation:
                  *Propshaft - Can I use B3, Coupe or B5 one instead of B4??
                  *Rear driveshafts - Are those all the same length on B3, Coupe, B4, B5??
                  *Rear diff - Can I take it from B3, Coupe or any other model??
                  *Rear subframe - Does B4 and B5 have the same one?

Comment

Gearbox is the same 01a type in b3-b4-b5 if it has 5 speeds. Rear diff has a different housing in b3, so you can't use that. I'd guess your best option for propshaft would be b5, but can't confirm. From what I understand, the rear subframe is essentially the same in b4 & b5.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. So as I can take gearbox from B3 quattro too, then I only have to find one from b3, b4, b5 that fits 4 cyl engine.

I also used vagcat database and found that B4 and B5 have the same rear driveshafts: code is 8A0501203J/8A0501203JX
                      Rear subframe fits and code matches: 8D0505235C
                      Prop shaft codes doesn't match. Those are codes B3: 893521101 B4: 8A0521101F B5: 8D0521101 I guess there might be difference in lenght.

So now I have to find out more information about propshaft and diff. Everything else is sorted out for now.

Comment

Make sure the gearbox and diff final drive match, 3.89 or 4.11.
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Any update?
                          You have pm.

Comment

Can B3 limo be converted from FWD to AWD, without cutting anyting, just bolt on diff and the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi View Post
                              Can B3 limo be converted from FWD to AWD, without cutting anyting, just bolt on diff and the rest?
                              No, different floorpan.
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X