No announcement yet.

which other audis used a 3b rear diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which other audis used a 3b rear diff?

I'm thinking audi 90 quattro? Any others...?

Thanks,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

None really, BUT

All the 5 cyl t89 quattros have the same ratio and internals, just the CV flanges are smaller. I have a tight AEC coded rear diff waiting for install. Just have to take the flanges from the original one and that's it.
    4 and 6 cyl cars have a different ratio so the're no good for us.

3B and ABY coupe has the same diff. AYV.
    -

Comment

cool thanks.....
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

anyone know the part number for the complete rear diff?
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk
          anyone know the part number for the complete rear diff?
          do you want one?

Comment

@ WAB: well I am after a tight rear diff as I think mine has seen better days and once the clutch and gearbox mounts are sorted then the only weak link is the rear diff I think causing all the shunt and slack.

PM me with the details...
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

David - don't do this - PLEASE - go chase the rear diff of an Audi V8 - yes the VEEE eight. It has a Torsen diff at the back and I strongly suspect that the internals can be transferred to the case of the S2 item. It needs to be done by a proper gearbox man though - lots of funky tools and preload settings required.

Or if you can simply donate your old rear diff to scientific research that will be even better.

Between APNess's dead 'box and your dicky diff we have a chance to get some proper investigations done by Lee's contacts at Quaife for LSD's in the form of ATB devices.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

PARTNR : 017 500 040H for AEC DIFF KOMPL
                ---/----: 017 500 043F for ARS
                ---/----: 017 500 043M for AYV .......8-))

Comment

Hehe, new ones cost A LOT. Say around 5000 euros. Go ahead
                  -

Comment

Paul - i was NEVER going to buy a complete one new there are no money trees in the back garden I can assure you!!!!

I have a part number from a guy and was looking to cross ref it.

I will be replacing mine so you are welcome to the original i should think but i am looking for a complete rear diff to just bolt up - cant be ar*ed with sending it off to be rebuilt. If i can find one which has had an easy life then that'll be fine

Cheers for the part numbers Caterpillar!

David
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

017 500 043M is the part number for the S2 coupe rear diff. It has a ratio of 37/9 and your local friendly Audi UK dealer would be happy to sell you one for £3282
                      S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Thats a bargain!!! Well done Audi UK for helping keep another classic on the road
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

That is alot when you consider a full S2 6 speeder costs £4511+VAT, and a diff has an awfull lot less labour involved in making one
                          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X