No announcement yet.

Quattro help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen if the quattro gearbox ratio would´t match the rear differential ratio, if they were different?

Comment

Originally posted by sergio View Post
      What would happen if the quattro gearbox ratio would´t match the rear differential ratio, if they were different?
      Badda Bing. Badda BOOOOOOMMM!!

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

That's what i thought! Yesterday a member from another forum told me he made the swap and didn't bother to match the centrar and rear diff ratio.... He said tha car worked fine..... He didn't knew that probably the new gearbox he instaled could have a different diff ratio.
        Is it possible that it could work even if it's a different ratio???

Comment

Basically (as I understand it), the gearbox would spin your wheels at a different speed than diff is spinning the rear ones. Which would probably cause stress on the Torsen and kill it. A no-no in all cases.

Comment

For what i understand if the front and rear diff have different ratios the 2 front wheels will spin at a different ratio than the 2 rear wheels. Which will lead to a different distribution other than 50/50.
            Am i wrong??

Comment

Seems like so, but the drive distribution between axles is handled by the Torsen, and your distribution will differ from what the Torsen gives. Pretty hard to speculate until someone has actually tried it for a prolonged time.

Comment

Here it is. My English isn´t very good so decided to draw.
                I have the gear box (2) which has a diff ratio of 37/10 and need to find a rear diff (1) also with the same ratio of 37/10.

It has been very difficult to find the rear diff (DRL). So i´m thinking that maybe i could use one that has a similar ratio. Could it be done? Would it work?
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X