Length, S2 front driveshafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length, S2 front driveshafts?

I cant seem to find this seemingly simple information. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

And if you want to help me out even further; What's the length on the standard 2.3 shafts?

The front shafts on my ABY avant are different lengths

Long: is Approx 526mm
    Short is Approx 513mm
    according to my measuring tape

Attached Files
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

it depent on the tranny verson you will use.... the driveshafts are a kit; you may have the innerunit and outer unit off, and change the center as you like...the 6 tr trannys, may need 2 of the right hand shafts.. if im correkt

Comment

Thank you very much for the pics!
        The puzzle at hand is to connect an MC2-transmission (10vt) to a pair of S2 hubs in a standard Coupé.

According to my research;
        The inner joint can come from basicly any Audi from the time, even som VW
        The outer joint can ofc be S2, from a V6, or from the 20v (38 splines)

My problem was to find an appropriate axel. Since the standard axel wont fit the S2 joint, and the MC2 one is way to long. I thought that bolting a whole S2-shaft in would be the easiest.
        But I havent taken off the standard shafts yet, so I don't know the difference

Comment

Thank you very much for the pics!
          The puzzle at hand is to connect an MC2-transmission (10vt) to a pair of S2 hubs in a standard Coupé.

According to my research;
          The inner joint can come from basicly any Audi from the time, even som VW ; correct
          The outer joint can ofc be S2, from a V6, or from the 20v (38 splines) ; jepp

ok.. its 016 tranny 5tr... and the innerhubs will fit from a audi a6 ( 115mm dia too) there are MANY combos with the propchafts.. the exackt mershure for your car... have the biggest/ thickest parts if you can... ive even use the mobils xhp222 grease in ( blue coulored)

Comment

by the way; the length depent witch verson bearing and struth you are using too... there are at least 4 verson of theese...

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
              by the way; the length depent witch verson bearing and struth you are using too... there are at least 4 verson of theese...
              4? How much is the difference between them? A couple of mm shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LeafBox View Post
                Is Your standard coupe - typ89?
                If I'm not mistaken, there is an outer CV-joint which could be applied with Your shafts and S2 hubs: 4A0 498 099 J. That might be helpful in case, You attach Your inner CV-s to the 016 tranny (or find some solution).

Some kind of similar task is in front of one guy, i know. He wants to have front hubs from t89/B3/B4 on FWD t85 with 016 tranny. We have not found yet if it is possible to have bolt-on t89/B3/B4 shafts with inner CV-s on 016...

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                  Is Your standard coupe - typ89?
                  If I'm not mistaken, there is an outer CV-joint which could be applied with Your shafts and S2 hubs: 4A0 498 099 J. That might be helpful in case, You attach Your inner CV-s to the 016 tranny (or find some solution).

Some kind of similar task is in front of one guy, i know. He wants to have front hubs from t89/B3/B4 on FWD t85 with 016 tranny. We have not found yet if it is possible to have bolt-on t89/B3/B4 shafts with inner CV-s on 016...
                  THE MAN WITH THE ANSWER!

He is correct, those joints can be found on the late 100/early A6 and does have an outer 38 splines and an inner 30(same as the 2.3), they even have the same overall diameter(59,5mm) as the S2.
                  And since the inner joints already fit the tranny, i just need to swap the outer joints.

Good work!
                  Last edited by LeafBox; 6 August 2014, 17:02.

Comment

Frankly speaking, It was not my idea at all. I was told about that on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
                    I have bought one CV-joint GKN-Spidan 22541 but did not try to install this all on my car yet.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                      Frankly speaking, It was not my idea at all. I was told about that on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
                      I have bought one CV-joint GKN-Spidan 22541 but did not try to install this all on my car yet.
                      Your idea or not, you had the information!

Comment

Working...
                      X