Hurrah to Central Axles - S2 is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurrah to Central Axles - S2 is back

It has been a while (7 weeks) since I have even seen the S2. It has been up in the air on a ramp at Central Axles waiting to have the gearbox reconned. Pinion Bearing was knackered and despite making only "early" noises, Tim there told me it was shagged and was about to do much damage if it had let go. Long story short, it took ages to get the bearing on back order from Audi Germany and also some issues sourcing a clutch.

All parts finally sourced and I picked it up today, brought it back to Oxfordshire and treated myself to £40 of super and long country roads until the display started showing "E" It is so smooth now and a joy to drive. Feels like it picks up a bit quicker with the new clutch as well.

Evidently the bearing (housed inside the first gear) had a tiny bit of play, but Tim was able to do some machining on this and is happy with the result. Evidently the parts are not available and the whole gearset would have to be purchased with the price being beyond prohibitive.

In short, if you have gearbox or diff issues, Tim at central axles is honest, patient and very good at what he does. Big thank you to Alex and a couple of others who recommended them.

I think I really should start a project thread (not that it is a project as such but constantly needs things doing) to document what repairs and bits that are put right. I am not one for cosmetic stuff but do like to keep things mechanically perfect and have spent a lot this year. As of now, I cannot fault this car. The pull in 2nd and 3rd from 3500rpm is addictive once more. Let's hope this good weather persists a bit more.

Onwards.

Glad its back & Tim managed to sort it. He's a really nice bloke. So Audi were able to find the bearing eventually? 7 weeks is a piss take even for Audi.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah it did not seem typical German efficiency but better late than never. I think sourcing a clutch caused as much of a headache as the bearing. Ended up with an LUK so fingers crossed it is up to the job. It is fine at the mo but time will tell if it will take the abuse.

Car needs a bloody good clean now. It is covered in dust and inside smells of the lovely exotic scent of gearbox oil and workshop pong. Slightly different from its previous hum of petrol and leather. I think I will dig out the bucket and sponge tomorrow.

Comment

yeah good idea, gearbox oil not the nicest of smells.

I think Rusty has a 3B LUK clutch in his motor and it's holding up to RS2 spec and his own brand of abuse so I'm sure it will be fine

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Are you going to ADI?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Glad its back & Tim managed to sort it. He's a really nice bloke. So Audi were able to find the bearing eventually? 7 weeks is a piss take even for Audi.
          They probably had to be reminded what an s2 was
          sigpic
          "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
          BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
          1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
          2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

If Rusty's own brand of abuse is anywhere near mine, I feel for his poor car ha ha.

Alas no, I won't be at ADI but I will sort out some up to date pics when it has had a bath.

Comment

Was it a 5 speed box? I do like the 5 speed, so much smoother than the 6, just not really strong enough for big power..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Yep, 5 speed. It definitely feels better now. Sure, it is as notchy and agricultural as it always was but they just seem to slip in a little better in a more positive way now. It is running in the low 300's, so should be fine power wise. Tim said the rest of the box was in really good nick and had no worries about putting it back on the car. Good to know. The bearing he replaced is the known weakness in the box. He said if that went, it would take all the gears with it in a type of mini melt down. Didn't sound good but I know nothing about gearboxes.

Comment

Working...
                X