urS6 auto - few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urS6 auto - few questions

Hi chaps, for anyone that has seen my intro thread I am considering purchasing a urS6 Avant.

Now usually in this type of car, and for the type of driving it will do - I would be just as happy with an auto as a manual, but in general I was told to avoid the auto in favour of the manual for a urS6.

But for now, I think I'll keep an open mind - but have a few questions.

Firstly, what is different between an auto & manual - obviously transmission & ECU, anything else?

What kind of real world mpg do owners get out of the auto, and does this improve with a remap?

How slow are they compared to the manual? I had an 850 T5 auto some years back, then a manual 850R - the T5 auto was a bit more sluggish, but only really from the off, once in gear it wasn't too bad. I can't see me going crazy with one, as I have my 944 Turbo for the boost rush - but I still like any of my cars to have a good turn of pace. I understand the torque limit on the auto box is around 400nm, is that considered to be well within the safe limits? Any owners on here got experience of running a mapped auto for many miles without issue?

If an auto was converted to a manual - what would be needed - gearbox, diff and ECU? Are these parts used across other models - and so not too hard to come by?

Any advice would be great

Junping from start autobox is more sluggish unlike manual.i would say its day and night between
    auto and manual atleast on UrS6. i have had 850 T-5 auto few years back.its only going faster than UrS6
    from start since its FWD and afterward i can bet.
    one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

don't waste your money on an auto - 6 speed is the way to go!!!!!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

I agree with (geneandbolly) About 7 years ago i looked at an auto being offered by a dealer. I took it out on my own and once the speed was up it felt good but the auto box from take of felt sluggish and although i put a few quid in the tank to really give it a try i was shocked at how quickly the fuel went. One guy on here had a lowish miles auto and he reported 12-13 mpg around town at best If you can live with that,can retune the box and chip it and the MPG is improved then it could be a nice car to drive on our congested roads. My URS6 is a manual.
        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

no wonder i decided to import gearbox conversion
          parts from states few years ago for my car lol.

Comment

Don't blame you, in order to put up with 12-13 mpg it would have to be something special like 1977 Jag/Daimler series 2 XJ6 5.3 V12 Coupe or E type.Would be worth it then

Even the S8 is better on fuel around town and very cheap to by now!
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Damn I wish i live in Europe.lotta good but cheap cars there.unlike classy 400% import tax charged on cars here.

Comment

Sounds like the auto is very much the poor relation then, lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                  Don't blame you, in order to put up with 12-13 mpg it would have to be something special like 1977 Jag/Daimler series 2 XJ6 5.3 V12 Coupe or E type.
                  or one of these!! i owned a few in my twenties - i can remember that £20 took the fuel needle up to halfway on the gauge back then!! mind you, after a few auto kickdown capers, it was back to the beginning again and a rather annoying orange light that reminded you it was fuel time yet again!!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Craig,i bet you thank your lucky stars Audi cars are your brew of taste today.
                    94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                    X