No announcement yet.

Gear Stick Balljoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy after fitting the standard ball and cup I have to say the shifting has become very tight and precise. Personally do not see any need for a short shift kit but the bottom ball with the nylon cup at the linkage end I replaced with a spherical bearing from 034. Once setup correctly it works great
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

My findings.

Comment

Link isn't working
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ht=Short+shift

Comment

Technically all you are doing by fitting the mk1 ball joint is raising the pivot point, fulcrums and all that.

Comment

Yes, I was a bit unsure how that alone made a difference, without modifying the shaft to match.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

It has made a huge difference to my gear change. Mine was not worn but I found the throw between 1st and 2nd was huge.

Comment

Thanks for the info
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

At the risk of thread hijacking, does this look right?

I've just changed my RS2 gear knob for a new old stock one (mmmm, new leather) but when I looked at it, it didn't quite look right as its at a jaunty angle, plus the circlip around the top of the cup was loose (put it back on).

Its OK, but now I'm being paranoid and thinking maybe the gear selections aren't as crisp as they could be.

If I was to replace this, what other bushes (part numbers if possible) should I replace so it feels like new again? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!!
                    Racing's important to men who do it well. When your racing its life. Anything that comes before or after is just waiting.

Comment

Looks broken to me. That inner ball holder has separated from the metal surround.
                      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Definitely broken, gear change will improve greatly when you change it.

When you remove it will look something like this:

IMG_2221 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_2222 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_2223 by ryanaqui, on Flickr
                        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Thank you gents! Just ordered it from Tradition.
                          Racing's important to men who do it well. When your racing its life. Anything that comes before or after is just waiting.

Comment

Just got one of DeS's kits ordered... Also got a spare 6 speed ball joint casing to take the reverse gate off.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Just fitted the Golf ball joint and what a PITA that was. Pretty much everything needs modifying and after all of that, the bolts hit the plate in the car...

I've got it working now with some low profile bolts but I've an idea for a machined plate that will do the whole job with the reverse lockout, so I'll have a look at that when I can be bothered.

The shoft is a fair bit shorter and feels plenty good enough, so well worth it on a 5 speed, where it's direct fit but still work to do to make it bolt on for a 6 speed.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I was very glad I had a 5 speed as you say looked like a lot of messing about On 6 speed. It's worth it though

Comment

Working...
                                X