New tyres on one axle - good for diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tyres on one axle - good for diff

If I was to run my car with brand new tyres on one axle and ones with only 3mm of tread left on the other could this theoretically cause probs with the diff

I felt the need to ask a stupid question :wacked:
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Not a stupid question at all! I dont knbow the answer but it did matter on the vauxhall 4x4 systems! But i suppose the are vauxhalls!

On this subject could anyone give me a reasnable indepth explanation on how exactly the "QUATTRO" system works?It has been suggested to me that is operates rear wheel drive but engages the front with a viscos type coupling when slipp is occuring?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Quattro system gives a 50/50 torque split in normal conditions and can sent up to 75% of the torque to the front or rear.

As some tuners use different wheel sizes front and rear on quattro systems I don't think there is going to be a problem with small differences.
      Mainly because quattro systems usually worns out front wheels before back ones so they are used to work with slightly different tyre diameters.

Haldex system used on TT, Golf, A3, etc... gives 100% torque to the front in normal driving and when the front starts slipping it will send torque to the rear untill front wheels don't slip. As I understand Haldex could sent in theory 100% torque to the rear. Allthough this is very unlikely to happen in practice.

Cheers
      94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

Originally posted by The Spanish
        Quattro system gives a 50/50 torque split in normal conditions and can sent up to 75% of the torque to the front or rear.

Haldex system used on TT, Golf, A3, etc... gives 100% torque to the front in normal driving and when the front starts slipping it will send torque to the rear untill front wheels don't slip. As I understand Haldex could sent in theory 100% torque to the rear. Allthough this is very unlikely to happen in practice.

Cheers
        Thanks for that!

Do you or anyone else have any technical info to explain just how this power distribution and transfer is achived etc? (Just interested!!!)

Comment

http://www.haldex-traction.com/

http://www.torsen.com/files/Traction...ol_Article.pdf

The pdf is a bit involving but the pictures are nice

enjoy the bed time reading, next week i will be setting homework

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Oh Joy!

Comment

THe only thing quattro require is the same size for all of the wheels. As i was told .
              Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

They do technically. Some of the conversions like ones from MTM or Nothelle fitted wider wheels at front to help combat understeer.

But no matter what the car you dont want different treads on one side of the axle to the other.

It is permissable to change a pair of tyres on one axle on the quattro's but best to do all four.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Recomendation is put the tyres with more tread on the front according to the owners manual.

5mm tread difference is quite high but the quattro system can absorb this with no ill effects. Just be aware that the back end will let go before the front.
                  Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Centre diff (manual or torsen) will allow for differences in speeds between front and rear axles. Same applies when car is turning corners. Audi WILL say keep wheel / tyre sizes the same, it covers them, giving them a chance to get out of a claim, plus each time your car is serviced by a stealer, they are quite happy to point out the fact your front tyres are 3mm lower than the rears! New tyre time . Martinj's 100 Avant quattro had larger wheels on the rear and suffered no ill effects.

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Chamberlain
                      On this subject could anyone give me a reasnable indepth explanation on how exactly the "QUATTRO" system works?It has been suggested to me that is operates rear wheel drive but engages the front with a viscos type coupling when slipp is occuring?
                      This is nonsense, you've been mislead "Quattro" means you are in 4 wheel drive all the time, quite simply you have a centre diff which feeds the front and rear axle diffs.
                      Also the original quattros (like my 84 ur) don't have a Torsen centre diff so the power split between the front and rear was fixed, centre and rear diffs are lockable for slippery conditions.
                      When this system came out it was a serious breakthrough in that it weighed much less and was much smaller than any previous 4x4 system.
                      IIRC The only high performance car around before that with 4x4 was the Jensen FF which used a truck 4x4 system with a transfer box, like a landrover.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

my 100 has 225/50/16's on front and 205/55/16's on rear, overall diameter is the same...within 0.4mm anyway, dont know why theyre like this, thought the widest usually goes on the rear, cant fit anything wider on rear though, just a few mm clear of arch.

martin

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                          my 100 has 225/50/16's on front and 205/55/16's on rear, overall diameter is the same...within 0.4mm anyway, dont know why theyre like this, thought the widest usually goes on the rear, cant fit anything wider on rear though, just a few mm clear of arch.

martin

Probably for contrasting understeer, just like MTM did on it's 420+ hp S2.

Comment

If you went to a tyre place and asked to replace one tyre they would say "sorry sir but you have to change all four as it will destroy the diffs". This is crap, but changing just one tyre can confuse things like traction control systems! But to honest this is soo rare its not worth worrying about. I have on the rear 2 different amounts of tread and tyres with the same amount as each otheron the front. Have had no problems(touch wood, bet the ****ing diff snaps off tomorrow!!)
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

What happens if you get a puncture with your nice new 19" tyre and you have to resort to using the old 16" spare to get home, is that a problem?
                              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
                              X