Standard Tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Tyres?

I wish cars ran the same 1mm legal limt as coaches! Mine are a lillte worn to say the least
    Which tyre last the longes i.e hardest compound and where and how much do people pay for standard 205/55/16's I spoke to a guy @ ATS and told him that i has killed my Michelin Primacys in 4 months down to 3-4mm left! (not saying what rears are like!) He said i would stuggle to find a better wearing tyre than them! He said to try bridgestones? Anyone?

Cars desperate for some new boots! 1.6 mm on the rear! just legal! and 3-4 on the fronts!

Ouch!:eek2:
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Hancooks are good value, I have them on the front of the S2 and both ends of the WR, not the grippiest, but predictable.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
      Hancooks are good value, I have them on the front of the S2 and both ends of the WR, not the grippiest, but predictable.
      what would i expect to pay for those?££££££ is all that i can see at the mo!

Comment

www.mytyres.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2
          www.mytyres.co.uk
          Excelent Sal!

Toyo Proxes T1-S for £58 each inc VAT and Uk mainland delivery! Anyone got and experinec with these?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Chamberlain
            Excelent Sal!

Toyo Proxes T1-S for £58 each inc VAT and Uk mainland delivery! Anyone got and experinec with these?
            Yeah I bought 4 from them and they were £58 each, delivered by courier from Germany! Done about 400 miles on them and they are great. I had Continentals and the Toyos are miles better. Quieter and grippier.

Don't think they are the longest lasting tyres though, I reckon they are quite soft.
            Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Chamberlain
              what would i expect to pay for those?££££££ is all that i can see at the mo!
              About 50 quid ish?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

i got TS- Proxies , done 4000+miles on em and they have tons of tread left. very grippy tyre.
                Coupe

Comment

If you go to a tyre place look on the tyres, they all have a wear rate number i think it was.... my goodyear eagle F1's are rated 300... the higher the number the harder the tyre...

look on your tyres and you should see it, its really small on my tyres, so have a close look
                  Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                  2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

If you go to a tyre place look on the tyres, they all have a wear rate number i think it was.... my goodyear eagle F1's are rated 300... the higher the number the harder the tyre...
                    LOL dont get Falcon 502's as i have had these and they nearly lasted a week (only kidding but they didnt last long) i think there hardness rating is about 10 .
                    They had wicked grip in the dry and wernt bad in the wet but i think theyre made out of the same stuff the Stationary box's erasers are made off, they are that soft, you can even dig your nails deep in them. I now use BF goodrich and i cant complain, they are excellent and are identical to michelin pilots, even made in the same factory.
                    Graham
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Depends what roads you are using on them and how hard you drive i guess but for motorway miles i used a set of Michelin Pilot HX MXM's, they were about £85 a corner but lasted 35,000 miles on the fronts and the rears still have about 4-5 mm on so they are in the garage at the moment - not sure i'll ever use them again but seemed silly to chuck them away.

Running Goodyear Eagle F1's now, been on since Feb 2003, in october at the mot they measured 6-7mm tread so i guess they are wearing well after about 10k miles.

Cheers,

David
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I think i have killed my primceys in about 5000 miles or so? fitted in Aug anyhow not good really! Need to slow down!

Comment

You will not find a tyre that lasts well that grips any sense. It just doesnt happen. I have got Yoko 539's on the car and they grip like poo to a blanket. Will be getting more of these next time. Toyos are a budget performance tyre that offer loads of grip, but dont last all that long. Having said that the Yoko's are wearing OK(?) But then they do get a lot of hard work, they did two track days and they get to be controlled be me!!
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Just got a set of Pirelli P7000's from my local Just Tyres branch for £59 each inclusive fitted. Anybody have any experience of these ?
                            Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Personally, I think you're compromising in the wrong area - tyres are the only things which keep you connected to the road, and in a car as fast as the S2, you need all the grip/acquaplaning resistance/braking performance you can get.

The difference in performance between a proper tyre like the GoodYear Eagle F1, or the excellent (and slightly cheaper) Toyo Proxes T1-S is quite considerable over something like a Hankook or a Pirelli, or a Michelin, or a Falken...

Yes they don't last as long, yes they cost a little more, but they work better. That could mean the difference between staying on the road in one piece, or not.

Toyo's aren't exactly expensive, the GoodYear's do have a good tyre life - both are fantastic tyres.

If you're worried so much about tyre wear - drive slower and brake less harshly
                              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
                              X