235/40/17 on Cup 1s - any problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 235/40/17 on Cup 1s - any problems?

Afternoon lads. After a bit of digging I was thinking that 225/40/17 would be best on my Cup1s when I fit them but i've just spotted a set of bargain-tastic 235/40/17s. Does anybody have any thoughts on if this could cause any problems with standard suspension? I know 245 is frowned upon because it's too big but i can't see a strong opinion on whether 235 would be OK or not.
    cheers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Main problem will be clearance The 235's will be 4mm larger in diameter and 10mm wider,
    If your car is lowered it may cause probs.
    Check for clearances when the car has weight in it as it may be fine when lightly laden but rub when heavily laden.

Comment

Originally posted by dubmeister View Post
      Main problem will be clearance The 235's will be 4mm larger in diameter and 10mm wider,
      If your car is lowered it may cause probs.
      Check for clearances when the car has weight in it as it may be fine when lightly laden but rub when heavily laden.
      cheers for the info. what do you mean by check for clearance? You mean measure with my existing wheels and see if there's room there? hmmm. maybe I should just hang on until I have funds for 225s?
      1990 CQ20v

Comment

I've got 235/40x18 on my Avant + lowered H&R springs and it doesn't foul at all - even when towing but it'll depend on the ET of your wheels.
        1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
        1987 CQ85RS
        1994 S2 Avant- Gone
        1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
        Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
        Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

what size wheels and tyres are you running at the mo?

Comment

depends on your definition of the word "running". erm... I have a set of standard 16 inch avus wheels to go on but i'm yet to drive the car that the cup 1s will go on because I have to put the engine in yet. It's stock suspension though.

raymor - the new wheels are 17" 7.5J, ET 35, 5/112
            these chaps http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23527

and there's no shame in towing. a man that tows must be doing manly things.... unless you're towing antiques, in which case you're on your own ya big jessie
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Ideally you should use 225/45/17 235/40/17 will be fine just use a calculator to see the speedo % change

IIRC people run 245/40/17 as well ( Fatty )

Comment

Cool. cheers for that Jamo. Although i'm trying to work out if you're insulting me or referring to another forum member.

These are the pretty things making me tingle in my happy places
                1990 CQ20v

Comment

Mount the cups on the intended car then measure up 94mm from the inside base of the rim this gives you the height and then measure 235mm across the wheel. Ifit's going to foul it will foul on the inner edge of the wing, the **** guard, and maybe the inner arch on full lock.(rear will be worse than the front)
                  It's hard to judge as unless you have run the same suspension/wheel/tyre combo you can't tell 100% if it will foul or not.
                  Looks like it may be a case of suck it and see.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Lol Fatty is reference to Fat Audi 80 who is running 245/40/17

Comment

nae antiques... and nae jessies

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                      and there's no shame in towing. a man that tows must be doing manly things.... unless you're towing antiques, in which case you're on your own ya big jessie
                      1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                      1987 CQ85RS
                      1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                      1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                      Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                      Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Been running 235/40 on 17" by 8j's for years , no problems even with lowered suspension bits...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                          Ideally you should use 225/45/17 235/40/17 will be fine just use a calculator to see the speedo % change

IIRC people run 245/40/17 as well ( Fatty )

No clearance problems on my coupe with those above. (Mine is not lowered, but they clear the suspension / steering arms etc.)

I am running an ET35 on 8" rim...

Cheers,

Fatty
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

cool. cheers lads.
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                              Lol Fatty is reference to Fat Audi 80 who is running 245/40/17

And I'm not even Fat!
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X