Winter tyres for Finland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter tyres for Finland?

Just thinking ahead here but I might look for some winter tyres before heading over to Finland. My car has 18" wheels just now but came with 17" as standard. I'll probably buy a cheap set of alloys or steels to put the winter tyres on. I don't know what size I should go to though? I've found a cheap set of good quality 195/60/15s but I don't know if 15s would be too small for my brakes (might even sit on the ground, who knows)

Anybody got any input on this please? Buying a set of 18" winter tyres in Finland could be expensive
    cheers
    nj
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

You will need to check with local regulations I think and get some local recommendations too - winter rubber must be cheaper there. Isn't it mandatory to have winter rubber there anyway after a certain date - I always thought so... I've had great results with Pirelli Snowsport on 205/55HR 16 - pretty sure they do them in bigger sizes as they are specifically for big modern cars. I think the H rating is mandatory in some countries even for winter use. These tyres aren't studded or anything extreme like that but they perform very well in cold temps and on snow. BTDT
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

You won't get 15" wheels over you brakes mate, 16" minimum.
      1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
      2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
      1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

by them in Finland mate, you'll want studded tyres there, nothing less.... I'm sure Nokian will have a good wintertyre in 16".. don't go too wide, 195 or 205 will probably do (if the height will be enough). iirc winter tyres are mandatory in Finland after 1st of November (in the north earlier)

Comment

Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5 or 7 is good choice and 205/55 r16 or 205/60 r16 is your size.

Comment

no need for studded tires when you have quattro. Very good ones are Nokian Hakkepelitta studless snowtires (Q speed rating, max 170 km/h) Made especially for nordic conditions. 225/45/17 on the RS2
            2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-line____2003 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro____1994 Audi RS2 2,2T Avant____Audi Quattro Experience____Audi Sportscar Experience
            Protected movement - with quattro

Comment

Now there is local / regional knowledge for you. Result.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Skaala View Post
                no need for studded tires when you have quattro. Very good ones are Nokian Hakkepelitta studless snowtires (Q speed rating, max 170 km/h) Made especially for nordic conditions. 225/45/17 on the RS2
                There's need event with quattro. I vote for studs. They come to help when you really need traction - when braking on ice. Quattro helps only to get speed, and you need to stop sometimes... Also today's studded tire is better on tarmac, than studdless. Which is also very important in my country, because we get mix of snow, rain, whatever, and temperature flux in 10-20 degrees of C per single day/night (in Finland I think it is less important).

My personal choice is gislaved nord frost. Noisy - but grips nicely.

Sau
                P.S. I have used Hakkapelitta Q and Gislaved Soft Frost I and II for few winters, but when I have tried studs - never really wanted to go back.
                200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

I can certainly vouch for the Nokian's. I followed the advice of the forum Vikings when I enquired on what kind of winter tyres to buy and it was sound and solid advice.
                  Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

I used to run studded tires, but not since 1999 or so. Studless winter tires have become so good that they match/surpass studded ones on pretty much anything except for ice with standing water.
                    In the bigger cities of Norway, the ratio of studless/studded is approx 80/20.
                    Note that I'm talking about scandinavian type studless winter tires, with Q or R rating, not the H rated winter tires used in Germany, etc.

I can recommend Nokian Hakka R and Conti VikingContact 5
                    1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                    1994 80E Avant
                    1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

I have stoppet using studded tires here in norway.

Graspic DS-2 from dunlop has been great om my fwd golf 5 and Im going to buy these for my s2 when they need replacing.

The good thing about studless is that you can take them on when you like, and don't have to take them of at a certain date, like you have to with studdet tires, At least this is the thing in norway.

Studded tires will help you stop, but Commom sense always works better then any studded tire you can buy. And remember that tires get old, I normally just use mine 2 sesons before i change, If you use old wintertires, you may be better off using you newer summer tires!

Comment

that's odd, in Finland (countryside, not pääkaupunki) probably 90% is on studs, but this just might be conservatism? I personally don't know anyone who drives on studless.

Can any of the Fins here maybe produce the results from a test from a car magazine (I'm sure TM has tested them) that compares studs with studless?

Comment

I am using winter tires good year GW3 size 225/45/17 with the normal cup wheels with very result in snow conditions or ice

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for all the advice lads.

It looks like I should find a set of 16" or 17" wheels to bring with me and then buy my winter tyres when I'm there. Am I right in thinking that you guys would normally keep a set of winter wheels rather than swapping tyres over? 18" winter tyres would probably bankrupt me anyway. Although I do have a spare set of 18" RS6 alloys in my garage now.

Do any of the Finnish guys have a link to a website so I can see how much I should expect to pay for something like the Nokian Hakkepelittas?
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by silizium View Post
                              Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5 or 7 is good choice and 205/55 r16 or 205/60 r16 is your size.
                              On a side note how do you find Espoo to live? I applied for a good job there with Kone so if god exists and he loves me (that might be asking a bit much) I could end up there.
                              cheers
                              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                              X