Wheel guide peg snapped off in hub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel guide peg snapped off in hub.

I had a little bit of bad luck yesterday.

The little black plastic peg supplied with the jack snapped clean of yesterday when refitting the wheel. Thats what happens when you try to remove and refit a wheel in a very confined space.

The shaft of this is hollow so I tried gently knocking in a slightly over-sized Torx bit into the hole to grip it and unscrew the offending stud. Unsurprisingly, this just shaved the interior of the hole making it that bit wider.

I thought I could use this to my advantage and try sucessively larger Torx bits to clean out the hole and then pick out the rest with a small jewelers flat blade.

This worked well up to a point, but removing the last remnants of plastic out of the threads isn't so easy.

Would a M14x1.5 second/intermediate tap be all that is needed to fix this? Or maybe a taper tap would be better?

Any other hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nuvo; 12 April 2010, 08:55.

If it's just plastic then the tap should remove it very, very easily
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Blowtorch? :mischeif:
      Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

My guess is its made from polypropylene. I'll try and pick a tap up today and give it a shot.

Comment

I'm sure using a blowtorch would be a lot of fun, but I don't think it would be ideal for a number of reasons.

Comment

On a serious note if its made of plastic why dont you put some doses of petrol on to then it will go brittle in a few hours, should more or less fall off then?

Then try the blowtorch if the above dosent work......
            Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

Are you a recovering firebug by any chance?

I'm no polymer engineer, I know that petroleum can be used to dissolve the likes of polystyrene, but I don't think this would work for a thermoplastic such as polypropylene.
              Certainly not at room temp anyway.

Even if it does work, it would mean that I would need to take off the hub so that I can immerse it in petrol.

I think I'll try using a secondary tap first as this is more convenient and presents a lower risk too.

Comment

Have to say I'd go the head route too. I have a hot air gun that I'd give a go along with a dental pick.

Comment

get a little screw driver red hot on the stove then burn it in the middle and let it cool down and it might just unscrew it then... Maybe...

Comment

Would a hammer and lol chisel not be quickest way to get that useless piece of plastic out... Fit some wheel studs and you'll never look back
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

A good old secondary tap saved the day. Once I cleared about 2 or 3 threads I then inserted a wheel bolt and tightened that enough to push out the little plug. It worked a treat.

Comment

Working...
                      X