Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Hub Studs for RS2

Hi,

Thx for a great forum that has been really useful when fixing my original brakes for my RS2. I got the calipers refurbed, new antisqueel shims, new pads and disks and the brakes are as new now. I could not have done it myself without the help from this forum.

My problem now is that I had one wheel nut that was totally stuck and unable to remove without dammaging one of the studs on the left front wheel. The stud is so dammaged it's beyond repairs. Audi dealer don't have a serial for the stud and claims I have to change out the wheel hub, but for me it looks like it's possible to refit a new stud. The only thing is that I dont know what to buy since there is no serial for it.
    I'm thinking it might be from Porche and it could be ser # 993341671.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13...4-928-964-993/

Anyone who can help me out ?

Also, how do I get the stud out of the wheel hub without damaging the hub in the process. I tried knocking on the stud with a hammer, but it will not move. I didn't want to hit any harder. Maybe some heat will help me out?

Thx in advance !

Do you mean a wheel bolt stud. For really stubborn wheel bolts i use a metre long 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with hardened socket.

Comment

No, I mean the studs coming out from the hub where the wheel nuts goes on. The stud is allready dammaged and needs to be replaced. I had to use a drill to get the nut off and that is why I also dammaged the stud.

Thx!

Comment

Then it would need removing and taking to an engineering shop.
        Alternatively the cheapest option may be a new hub carrier.
        I take it the threads are too damaged to chase the threads?

Comment

The threads are too dammaged I'm afraid. I'm not sure if a new hub comes with the studs in place. On http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/RS2/1995/41/52/469989/ the scematics of the hub shows no studs. On the brakedisc however I can se the bolts on the drawing, but there are no serial for it. If I only knew what kind of stud have been used, I could refit one myself without having it taken to a advanced machinery shop I think.

Thx!

Comment

Just hit harder and it will come out.

Comment

Ill look on etka for bolt size foryou.

Comment

I'm afraid of bending the hub.

Thx!

Comment

Any photos of your problem ?

Comment

Yeah, photos would help. I'd imagine it needs to be pressed out as opposed to hit.
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

If you can access the back of the stud you you could use a big G clamp and a socket/tube bigger than the head of the stud to press the stud out, that way you dont hammer the wheel bearing.

Like this but with a tube instead of a fork

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        If you can access the back of the stud you you could use a big G clamp and a socket/tube bigger than the head of the stud to press the stud out, that way you dont hammer the wheel bearing.

Like this but with a tube instead of a fork

This seems like a good idea Andy. Thanks for the tip. I also looked at youtube where some americans are hammering them out with a 3 lbs hammer. Just doesn't feel right for me. Currently my wheel is on, so photo will be later when I got the proper stud to fit the hub (if I ever get the right partnumber for it ) My MOT is deadlining this month. I doubt I will get this fixed in time with ordertime, xmas and everything. I just find it strange that the Audi dealer can't be more helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

That's the idea Andy.

It's very far from ideal but you can cheat the MOT with a missing stud by gluing a nut in there, well you can in the UK, I've encountered it quite often when working on Hi-Lux's and L200's etc.
                          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

You'll need a stud extractor.

The studs are threaded
                            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                              You'll need a stud extractor.

The studs are threaded

I think you are wrong about that.

Thanks!