S2 ABY cannot fit spare rim and tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 ABY cannot fit spare rim and tyre

So I have 5 mint condition Avus S6 17"rims and they each have new tyres.

Fitted them over the weekend and then I try to put the spare in its normal place.

It does not fit, it’s too big.

One solution I have is take a good 16"Avis, original rim and use as a spare.

Now comes the next problem if I do this is the big Porsche callipers and 16"rims. I would prefer the 17” rims.

So I am looking for a solution to my issue.

Has anybody tried the following?

Let the nitrogen out of the tyre and push the 17" rim and tyre into the spare wheel position. Not sure if it will fit. Carry a small compressor to pump up the spare if ever needed.

Without me letting the Nitrogen out of the tyre has anybody done this and did it work.

I used to have 7,5x16 205/55 spare wheel fitting trunk recess very tight. After brake upgrade I assembled myself a spare wheel 7,5x17 215/50, hoping it will get accomodated. Needs trying, It may not fit either.

Avus 16" must clear RS2 calipers, but porsches - unlikely.

Comment

Let the air out of the spare tyre. Then it will go in.

My 235 40 18 fits... just....

Edit. Just noticed you inflated with nitrogen... let the nitrogen out and inflate with good old fashioned air if needed...
      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

"Let the air out of the spare tyre. Then it will go in."

��... not really much good then if you actually have call to use it then is it !

I found the same issue, can't fit 235/40/18's... but they are within a couple of percent diameter of the original factory Avus 16" 205/55/16, so in the event that you do get a flat tyre on the front and can't fit the Avus due to big brakes, simples... just swap 2 wheels, one of your 18's from the rear to the front, and then fit the 16" to the rear and it'll be no issue to the centre diff as the diameter is within specified tolerances.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand View Post
          "Let the air out of the spare tyre. Then it will go in."

��... not really much good then if you actually have call to use it then is it !

I found the same issue, can't fit 235/40/18's... but they are within a couple of percent diameter of the original factory Avus 16" 205/55/16, so in the event that you do get a flat tyre on the front and can't fit the Avus due to big brakes, simples... just swap 2 wheels, one of your 18's from the rear to the front, and then fit the 16" to the rear and it'll be no issue to the centre diff as the diameter is within specified tolerances.
          Or...... Carry a small compressor or foot pump and put the right size spare in the usual place. Take it out and pump it up if needed....

Is it really that difficult?

FWIW ... It's fine to carry a flat spare - assuming you are capable of pumping it up. Porsche (amongst others) did it for years

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
            Carry a small compressor or foot pump
            Both my cars have 12v compressors stored with the spare wheel.
            Paid for themselves very quickly by not stuffing coins into air pumps at garages.

Comment

Compressor it is

Comment

Or just carry the 16" and in case of emergency put it on the back and swap a 17" from back to front.

Comment

Could also do that.

Comment

I couldn't be bothered to change rear wheel for a front wheel puncture, also, why have 5 proper wheels if you only ever use 4...
                    Much nicer to put 100% matching spare on in case if issues.

Also, would mean I need to store my 5th wheel somewhere and potentially other 16" wheels from the set..

My solution is to carry the Audi 12v compressor and can of sealer, fits nicely under the flap in the trunk along with the tools, high viz jacket and some spares...

Comment

I have not tried it yet but letting the tyre down and getting 17" in the spare wheel position is sounding like the way I would like to go. I have a mint condition rim and new 17" tyre for a spare providing it fits when deflated. I think buying a compressor is a small price to pay and it could help others in an emergency.

With the 16" also being an Avus it would also work and the extra change is not such a big story, it only comes into play if its a front wheel that has an issue.

Will update when I have tried letting the tyre down.

Comment

I have a Porsche 996 brake conversion, and run 17" wheels. The Avus 16" wheel just fits over the front brake with about 3mm to spare. In fact I run a set of 16" Avis as winter wheels if we get enough snow.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

My Porsche brakes are still in the box, will soon know if the 16's will fit with what I am doing.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                            Or just carry the 16" and in case of emergency put it on the back and swap a 17" from back to front.
                            I would agree to do the same

Comment

I definitely would NOT be relying on a tin of gloop to repair a damaged tyre.

Comment

Working...
                              X