hi i have a 1990 coupe quttro 7a that im tuboing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi i have a 1990 coupe quttro 7a that im tuboing

hi i have a 1990 coupe quttro 7a that im tuboing just looking for sum wisdom from you guys

There are plenty of helpful people on the forum.

Comment

Hello. Some more information would be useful... Are you adding a turbo to the 7a engine or installing an engine that already has a turbo on it?

Comment

If you’re on a budget, sleeve the block & use S2 pistons, MLS headgasket & h-beam rods. Then you’ll have a 500hp capable bottom end for around £1500.
        Dont under estimate the cost do do this kind of conversion and make the car perform well and be reliable - it will likely be cheaper to buy an S2 trust me.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If we are on a realistic side, best thing can be done here is still buying a good AAN engine full swap kit. It is already difficult and expensive, and good engine adaptation will require a lot of small jobs. Some parts from 7A can just be helpful with that.

Comment

So I want to add a turbo to the engine but I didn’t know what to do about oil feed and weather to use a 3b or aan manifold

Comment

Originally posted by MISTER T 1997 View Post
              So I want to add a turbo to the engine but I didn’t know what to do about oil feed and weather to use a 3b or aan manifold
              As Alex said ,the most sensible thing to do would be to search for the S2 or engine that is already fitted with turbo in my opinion .what list of parts have you got in your head that you think you will need to get that level of power from the car ??I think you will find that it will cost more than you think buddy .what ECU are you planning to use to support the engine ?
              if you are asking about exhaust manifold than I don't think any of them is suitable for 500bhp as it will restrict flow to the turbo .

Comment

I'd be looking for an S2 short block to rebuild with forged rods,modify and reuse the 7a head
                Then there's the rest....a decent manifold and turbo,intercooler,ecu,injectors,fuel pump,exhaust,clutch etc etc.
                Also bear in mind if you're looking to use the existing gearbox it's not going to like that amount of power used in anger off the line....
                It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

So I was asking about the intake manifold but as far as bits I was going to get a customer exhaust manifold forged pistons and rods and probably valves and springs injectors and see what you guys recommend on a ecu I don’t really want to buy a s2 lump I know it’s not the best way around it but it has been done before so I think it will work

Comment

I don’t really want to buy a s2 lump I know it’s not the best way around it [/QUOTE]
                    I,m interested and i guess some other members are too, to hear your thoughts as too why you don't want to go with a S2 lump or to just buy a S2.

Comment

Turboing the 7a engine isn't that bigger deal,it's when you want to make a hefty bit of power things get more expensive,I'd perhaps check out motorgeek,most of the members are stateside so doing this conversion is well documented,s2's have been available in the UK from day one so it's always going to be the go to choice for most people.
                      I can definitely see the logic though as it's a good base to start with even if it is more work
                      As far as the intake goes you could either modify the existing one or get hold of either an S2 inlet,or better yet an aan inlet from an S4/6 as it's reversed and makes for better routing of the charge pipes

Comment

cool thanks one thing i red is that the aan manifold needs a difrent rocker cover. also is a 3b ecu much diffrent to a 7a? and as far as why the main reson is money and the fact that i have a 7a and not a s2 if i had a s2 i would use that but i dont sadly si its ether sell mine and find like 5k and buy a s2 to then spend at lest 2k moding or spend like 3-4k moding my 7a over a longer perode of time as not to drop so much money at onse.

Comment

I can't comment on the cam cover,i don't see why you'd need to change it but haven't done it myself.
                          You should be able to use the 7a cam cover and have the holes machined out a little to accept tfsi coilpacks,ecus are completely different,for something like this standalone is the only sensible way to go.
                          I'm currently installing an ecumaster classic ecu on my car with a custom loom,as in idea ill have have about £1500 in it for the ecu,wideband and wiring materials,however im making it myself so there would be labour ontop of that if you cant or dont want to wire it yourself.
                          The reality is for this kind of build you need to double your budget and add some,not trying to be a kill joy,i know from experience how these things add up!

Comment

Wait, you think to modify a 7a, turbo and all, to around 450 500 bhp, reliably.... For 3-4k?

​​
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X