Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Surrey

Hello I’m Al from Surrey.
    My stepmum has a 1990 2.3 20v coupe with the 7a engine, which I have been looking at to try and get started. After lots of googling this forum seem to have some of the better ideas for me to try, from old posts, hence decided I should join up.

I’ll post in another forum about what’s been happening.

Cheers
    Al

Which part of the forum should I post about a 1990 2.3 20v coupe ?

Comment

Hi Sir, and welcome!

Go to the RH (of the two) 'Forums' buttons at the top LH corner of this page, then down to Technical and to Engine.

Cheers

Comment

Welcome Al. Your stepmum has great taste, and I'm not taking about your dad

Comment

Thanks. She has had it from new and it’s only done 52,000 miles. It’s mint.

Comment

You lucky so and so. Sounds like you've got a gem to play with there. I hope it's panthero black!

Comment

Good luck getting it going.
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

It’s silver. Been having a no start issue. Local garage changed a crank sensor and was ok for a while then one day wouldn’t start. Got towed back to the garage then they changed the other crank sensor, again ok for awhile, then one morning wouldn’t start.

had a look a little while ago, no spark at plug, but couldn’t figure it out.
                Worked out how to flash up check light code and it said crank sensor. Spent some time last Sunday on it, removed the sensors, tested for resistance and ok, put an endoscope camera in the sensor hole to check the little post was stil attached to the flywheel, which it was luckily.
                Put the sensors back in and the car started! First time in weeks. No idea what I did!! ?

Comment

It sounds like there is an issue with the wiring to the connector/sensor and the movement each time it is in/out is remaking a connection, at least for a few days or weeks.

Maybe take a look at replacing some of the wiring?

Jase.

Comment

This is what I was thinking. When the garage came to collect the car they towed it down the road. Stopped, then tried the key and it started!
                    Got to be something loose somewhere.

Not used to all these sensors…. My own passion is a Triumph Stag
                    Last edited by Arbman Al; 18 January 2022, 09:04.

Comment

You should be well used to wiring issues then ​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Al
                        Welcome
                        I’m in Surrey too, near Dorking
                        John

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
                          You should be well used to wiring issues then ​​​​​​
                          Cheeky!!

Comment

Al
                            It does sound like you have an iffy connection to that sensor.
                            However.
                            It would be worth doing a check of the static timing.
                            Ignore the mark on the front pulley.
                            Line up the zero mark in the bell housing window. (The window is down near the sensor bracket).
                            Check that the dizzy marks line up. You may have to turn the engine another full revolution to get compression on cylinder 1.
                            (To take out any backlash you should roll the engine forwards onto the marks).

Although the mileage is low the car should have had a cambelt or two just on an age basis. The bottom pulley has to come off and a special locking tool is required. If this is not used the keyway on the pulley can break and timing can shift, this can cause a sensor code to be generated and occasionally a “sometimes won’t start” scenario. If it really slips properly it will bend a bunch of valves.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              Al
                              It does sound like you have an iffy connection to that sensor.
                              However.
                              It would be worth doing a check of the static timing.
                              Ignore the mark on the front pulley.
                              Line up the zero mark in the bell housing window. (The window is down near the sensor bracket).
                              Check that the dizzy marks line up. You may have to turn the engine another full revolution to get compression on cylinder 1.
                              (To take out any backlash you should roll the engine forwards onto the marks).

Although the mileage is low the car should have had a cambelt or two just on an age basis. The bottom pulley has to come off and a special locking tool is required. If this is not used the keyway on the pulley can break and timing can shift, this can cause a sensor code to be generated and occasionally a “sometimes won’t start” scenario. If it really slips properly it will bend a bunch of valves.
                              Thanks for that info. I’ll see if the cam belt has been changed at all.
                              The sensors are new, probably eurocarparts ones, couldn’t see a make on them, so would have to be wiring to the plugs on the bulkhead?

When I was underneath the other day, I noticed a bit of rubber hanging by the bottom pulley, and thought it was a bit of old fanbelt. Now thinking it may have been part of the harmonic damper. Is that bad?

Is there a preferred make for the crank sensors that you buy?

cheers
                              Al

Comment

Working...
                              X