Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, but not

Hi guys and gals,

My names Amar. I'm not exactly a new member, have been on S2 forum since around 2007 under a different name when I purchased Ammers well known tornado red 90 quattro. Since that unfortunate fire, I have been off the Audi scene, after buying a mk4 auto Toyota Supra.
    Glad to say, I saw the light and am back with a new toy! I recently picked up an 84' B2 80 Quattro, link is below if it still works.

Audi 80 Quattro B2 Helios Blue 1982 5 cylinder | eBay

The car is in the capable hands of PauliusQuattro @PCCR in Mansfield undergoing a partial restoration, doing underbody seal, new suspension, brakes, sills, wings, welding etc but I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

The intention for this car is to restore it, so it's safe to get back on the road, looking original so full interior but a bit of a sleeper. I have just bought a 2.2 20vt engine from S6 - AAN but not 100% sure on which direction to go.
    Being on 'S2 forum' I can take a stab at what the consensus will be regarding running gear but always open to hear other ideas.
    I'm thinking to make this more of a fast road, b-road blaster rather than a huge power, point and fire drag car.

Thinking along the lines of 400-500 WHP - off pump fuel (Vpower) without the need for any kind of water meth

I'm not as clued up as many of you here, so some great advice or proven setups would be much appreciated. I apologise in advance for any naive ideas thrown out below - I'm slowly working on my engine knowledge.

I'd like a setup that will be reliable although this is just a weekend toy and not a daily

Option 1 - 2.2 20vt
    Purchased engine may need rebuilding but not sure if stock internals will cope with this kind of power. Pistons, bigger WG? What kind of turbo, fuel pump, injectors, gearbox setup would it require to get a 2.2 20vt to a reliable 450WHP? Would like something that's not really laggy and comes in on boost low down around 3-4000rpm on a moderate boost as to not to overstrain anything but pulls hard all the way to redline.

Precision, Holset, GTX307 turbo?
    01E, rs4 or s4 gearbox?

Option 2 - 4.2 40v V8 - S8

I've had an offer of a setup ready to roll for my B2, comes with engine, loom and ECU, custom engine and gearbox mounts, downpipe, uprated clutch and flywheel, 01e 6 speed box, front driveshafts, 76mm radiator. has been stage 2 mapped so running about 380BHP already. This setup also has to option of an Eaton M122 supercharger with a built-in intercooler. Would require bigger injectors and mapping but should see 500+BHP circa 5-6k without SC. 7K with SC.

I love a 2.2 20v turbo and I know it will no doubt be a weapon but I'm looking at cost of a conversion as well as longevity of a build. I know I'd be very happy with either option.

I've no doubt missed some factors to consider but would greatly appreciate any replies. Thanks a bunch!

back.

I am going to leave this to the other "experts" but will enjoy watching from the sidelines.

Good luck

Cheers

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

it all comes down on how mutch money and time you are willing to spend on your build.

Comment

AAN is less work I reckon. Engine will bolt straight in. A set of stronger rods, use original pistons, new rings and bearings, head gasket. This will handle 500hp easy. Use original 5 speed box and 4wd set up, just renew all the bushes, uprate the brakes, exhaust, injectors, exhaust manifold and turbo

Comment

AAN every day

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Can't offer any advice or help but really looking forward to reading this thread

Comment

Decission made, sticking with AAN. Will be stripped down next week to see what condition it's in. Fingers crossed

Comment

Yeah,the AAN is much less work and all you need to do is rebuild it with some decent rods and it'll handle big power... turbo wise I'd be be lokking at a K26/7, easy to fit and very reliable.

Edit... Vidar on here offers some outstanding KKK hybrid turbos, he's the man I'd look to if I was in the market for a turbo for your power goals. The nice thing about using a K26/7 is ease of fitment, all the orginal pipe work is a straight fit, you can even use an OE air-box with a bit orf simple work. I know he has K26/7 hybrids that'll do well in excess of 450bhp.... Indeed I plan on getting my RS2's turbo rebuilt by him, it's done 100K which IMO is a good time to consider a rebuild on a high boosting turbo, the seals are all aproaching 30 years old.. Also somewhat irritatingly it's ingested a couple of bit's of the silly Porshe MAF's rear screen, they go brittle over age and can spit bits into the turbo. The car still runs just fine but I'll be investing in a new comp wheel along with the rebuild.
                  Last edited by K Simmonds; 23 July 2023, 01:00.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
                    AAN is less work I reckon. Engine will bolt straight in. A set of stronger rods, use original pistons, new rings and bearings, head gasket. This will handle 500hp easy. Use original 5 speed box and 4wd set up, just renew all the bushes, uprate the brakes, exhaust, injectors, exhaust manifold and turbo
                    So, I know Sal wrote that the original B2 gearbox, diff and driveshafts would be fine up to 500bhp but is that really strong enough?

I would have thought I'd have to upgrade these bits? Wouldn't the ratio be really low with a low final drive? I mean if it works and its strong enough I'd be happy to save myself a few thousand and keep it until it blows but was thinking if I'm at this stage then would it be easier to replace it now with something stronger and more suitable for some aggressive launches and spirited driving.

If upgrading is the way forward would a b7 rs4 or c5 a6 2.7biturbo box fit onto a B2 shell and AAN lump.
                    Anyone know what would work well and does anyone know of anyone on here who has does a similar project other than Paulius.

I been reading alot of posts on gearboxes and ratios on here but this is beyond my understanding atm

Thanks all

Comment

I've never come across a b2 quattro with a broken gearbox however I've driven loads of s2 and rs4 with the 01e boxes that crunch into gear or dont even engage at high rpm and thats on standard turbo set up.
                      The negative is as you mentioned the gear ratios. You'll be running out of revs quicker than you would on the 6 speed 01e or rs4. On my quattro it can feel as though I'm in a lower gear than I actually am, especially in 5th
                      It all depends what sort of driving you plan to do

Comment

Im not going to offer any informed advice on parts, reliability, best donor vehicles etc but can offer a personal view...

You sound committed to investing a good chunk of money on this project and are on track to end up with a great car at the end and one you would want to keep on enjoying.

I can't help but think that sourcing parts from more modern readily available cars could be a good strategy as you will have access to them for longer than the dwindling stocks of stuff for older cars.

The thing about gearboxes is that rebuild parts will start to dry up and as they do, the costs will climb... And climb higher than laying hands on a complete replacement modern gearbox.

I run an 51 year old classic saab and know that i bought a whole engine an gearbox for £100 3 years ago. This year i snapped up just a gearbox for £300 and that was the only one i've seen for sale for years. The alternative?... An £1800 rebuild that in itself is hampered by lack of synchros.

Food for thought

Comment

I generally agree with you steve briance on using some more modern components for this level of build. A 1.8T build would be significantly easier to source parts for, but would lack the 5 pot or v8 sound.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                          X