Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie from dorset

Hello all

well after having done fords (mainly capris) for the last 3 years I'm abit fed up. I'm currently in the process of fitting the FOURTH engine to my capri so I can sell it! There not quick, they don't handle (atall) they rust and break down/blow up all the time!!

Amoung other things I've had 2 e30 bmws (one of which blew up on the drive home) and a 325 e36 but they just don't do it for me. I was thinking about an m3 but at my age the insurance is still too much, then I came across the S2!! Didn't know what they where, a few hours of research later I decided I had to get one!!

I've been looking for the last 2 months or so for the right car; I especially want a low mileage black 3b coupe with leather. Specific I know but I'm in no major rush so may aswell wait for what I want!!

S2s seem like a steep learning curve in comparison to old rear wheel drive stuff but the potential of them seems incredible so I'm looking forward to spending all my future disposable income on bits to make mine better!! (when I buy one )

Welcome Paul,

You have made the right choice! Youtube audi S2 and your get some good video's!

I am just along the coast from you in hampshire.
    Chef

Comment

welcome dude im in dorset whereabouts are you?

Comment

Out of interest why a 3B? ABY is a better base car to own in terms of long term ownership

Comment

up here in Bmth mate - reach out to us.

Damian

Comment

I'm in Ferndown, about 6-8 miles from bournemouth. Would love to meet up with someone whos got an S2 to get more educated about them and see what theirs goes like etc so I've got something to compare to when I look at one!!

I didn't expect there to be anyone local with an S2, I still don't think I've seen one on the roads yet (maybe I'm just not paying attention though)

I say I'd like a 3b as from what I've read, your better off with the 5 speed gearbox as the ratios are better for acceleration, added to the fact they're lighter? I'm sure this gets debated about all the time!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
              The Terry Bull Won S2 650hp+
              ^^^ We all want them to be as fast as this one
              Shane

Comment

Originally posted by paul.m View Post
                I'm in Ferndown, about 6-8 miles from bournemouth. Would love to meet up with someone whos got an S2 to get more educated about them and see what theirs goes like etc so I've got something to compare to when I look at one!!

I didn't expect there to be anyone local with an S2, I still don't think I've seen one on the roads yet (maybe I'm just not paying attention though)

I say I'd like a 3b as from what I've read, your better off with the 5 speed gearbox as the ratios are better for acceleration, added to the fact they're lighter? I'm sure this gets debated about all the time!!
                Your wide of the mark with that information

The 5 speed boxes are weaker than the 6 spendsas for the ratios of the 6 speed are better for driving if you have the 6 speed box with the wide 1st gear then it has better ratios.

The only thing it has over an ABY is the single mass flywheel which can be retrofitted

I certainly wouldn't if I had the money dismis owning the later model as there are other benefits ( getting rid of the dizzy igntion for a start )

Comment

I did wonder if the 6 speed would be the better option in the real world and of course having a distributor isn't ideal. From what I've read it seems to be a case of people saying you should get what they've got!!

From the info on S2central it seems there where 3 times as many 3Bs made than there where ABYS, yet looking on ebay and pistonheads, the majority for sale are the (supposedly rarer) ABY engine'd cars

I'm trying to take in as much info as I can, so I buy the right car, so any advice is welcome!!

Comment

Imho,

Aby.

Comment

The 5 speed box is very sweet, lovely ratios, slick change but not as strong as the 6 speed. 6 Speed is much stronger but noisier, which is why the ABY has the dual mass flywheel to kill the noise of the box coming though to the car, this is worse with a sintered clutch. I fitted a 6 speed in my 3B and thought it was broken, changed it for another known good one which sounded exactly the same.. Having said all this my 180k miles 5 speed was quite happy with a chipped RS2 setup but then I don't do first gear launches, when I swapped it out for the 6 it was just starting to get a little rattle in 2nd, it was sold on and went into another S2.
                      Ignition wise there are pros and cons with the dizzy vs coilpacks, 3B is very simple, single coil, dizzy, HT leads and sparkplugs. Dizzy is hard to get at under the IM and everything needs to be in tip top condition and static timing set up spot on.. ABY is definitely next generation, ECU fires separate coils via POS units (Power Output Stage) POS, wiring, Coils, and plug boots (the bit that connects the coil to the plug) need to be in good condition. More expensive to fix if you need to replace coils.
                      ABY is safer from spark hop and potential rod bending which can happen on the 3B at high power levels but 3B should be absolutely fine if dizzy cap is good and correct rotor arm is fitted.
                      3B has battery under bonnet, shorter cables for good cranking but a pain to work round. ABY is under the back seat.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1823605.htm

Is this one no good to you?
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

newsh thanks for you comment, thats some great honest info I was hoping to get!!

Fat audi 80, that was going to be my next question. I saw that car for sale about 2 months ago, it dissapeared from sale (it didn't say sold) and now its re-appeared? what does everyone think about it?

I might have to take this to another room as its gone abit off topic from saying hello now!!

Comment

Looks like a clean genuine car from the pictures. I have not been following its sale, so could not comment on why it has reappeared again.

Read the buyers guide on S2central.net and buy on condition and not mileage. If a high mileage car has been maintained properly it will do 200,000 easily...

Cheers,

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                            X