• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rav View Post
    it has MoT and tax.

Buy it, buy it now its a no-brainer !
    For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Thats no 9 for sale right now and the cheapest. If you could get it for £2.5k you should buy without hesitation. It;s one of the very last to be registered!! Only if you're really unlucky will there be any serious rust to worry about on the monocoque chassis.Front wings are favorite for rusting plus 2 or 3 areas around the rear of the car. Assuming the paints good and will detail nicely, wheels refurbed,new bushes shocks etc etc this when given some love and attention could be worth eventually £5-6k IMHO.
      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
      96 URS6 plus speck estate
      94 2.6 80 Avant
      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
        Welcome to the forum. Thats no 9 for sale right now and the cheapest.
        It's not actually for sale

Comment

Outside looks oryginal,i like it.for 2,5k i would take it with my eyes closed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
            Outside looks oryginal,i like it.for 2,5k i would take it with my eyes closed :-)
            Make the offer as your friend has invited i would.
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Evening freinds.

Just a simple update - I am viewing the car tomorrow!! The seller knows that my budget is capped at £2.5k max, but has invited me for a viewing and drive.
              I am meeting him at the car tomorrow at 16:00.

I will update with pictures and the full details tomorrow evening.

Excited....

Oh - just out of interest, is anyone here with a S2 anywhere near Marlborough? I would love to see and hear what a loved S2 sounds and drives like.

Comment

Nice part of the world Marlborough. I assume the one in Wiltshire

Comment

Yes, in wiltshire. Land of the tractor all be it £100k worth of tractor these days and Range Rovers as far as the eye can see.

Comment

Well, have you bought it? I hope so you won't regret it.
                    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I work in Chippenham and my boss lives in Marlborough. If you want a second opinion let me know. Happy to advise on the good and bad of S2 Coupe ownership. Good luck!
                      91 Modded 3B
                      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

He either didn't get it and is sulking, in the garage fixing stuff already or has a life and is out on the town

Comment

Morning All.

MonkeyMagic - I LOL'd at your comments. You are right, in one instance.
                          I went to see the car yesterday. Tom, the current owner is the 8th owner and the car is showing 102k miles on the odometer.

The car had been moved and driven prior to me getting there.
                          I noticed that the on board computer was working and behaved itself on start up with the lights going out as they should. The only point of concern here was that a water/water temp type indicator was continously flashing in yellow on the pixelated display. Is this low water or low temp? this stayed on for the eintire time the car was started, run and parked. Only going off when the key was removed. The current owner is giving me a spare used radiator as part of the deal as the current one has a leak when under pressure.
                          Oil pressure was 1.5 - 2 bar at hot idle and 5 bar with acceleration. The guauge was progressive, i.e. the more throttle given the higher the pressure.
                          The sound of the engine was glorious, 5 pot burble, although starting was a bit sluggish - perhaps the battery - noted jump leads across rear seats.
                          Drivers side carpet was wet. I was told that the sunroof drains were to blame. Are these pipes between the skins? Can these actually come away internally? If so, how can these be repaired?
                          On driving the car went and stopped in a straight line. The brakes were good, but not the standard of my 52 plate A4. the discs and pads looked like they had been changed, but had a light rust on them.
                          One point worth a mention was that the clutch was obsurdly heavy. The clutch in my A4 is not the lightest, but this was mad. I struggled to drive the car due to the weight required to push the clutch down. Any ideas?
                          Whilst on the topic of clutch - no evidence of slip, but biting point was hard to judge as it was hard to push the pedal anywhere between 0 and 1! We spoke about the issue and Tom said that it was something to do with the mechanism being out of line (bent metal). I am not sure - slave cylinder?

Now to the interesting part, the car went very well. I saw 130 (leptons) come up very quickly, with faint smell of oil and burning (just like my old 944 turbos) and the car was still composed and had more to give. I would estimate around 220bhp (but am no expert). No exessive smoke or noise. All gears engaged and worked correctly.

Sunroof opened and closed as it should. Black leather interior (ruffled sort) with carbon fibre effect plastic trim. Gauges were white backgrounds and not peeling - although cloudy with the water in the car.

Around the outside of the car were a few marks. The plastic front and rear valences had scuff marks and peeling paint. Evidence of rust in the door shuts, but nothing serious. the rear seams under the lights - one side had come away slightly. But again - not too bad.

Engine bay looked ok, no signs of oil leaking and dirty enough to show that it wasnt hiding anything - although i did notice that the spark plug lead closest the front of the car had some sort of green tap around it at the point it enters the engine. No sign of miss fire though.

Boot was vast - and had the spare rad inside. the parcel shelf was strange, no ties to the boot lid, but some sort of hydralic mech?
                          A drip tray inside to collect water? eh? everything looked normal in here.

Washer fluid was leaking from the car and Tom mentioned that the rad leaks. No real chance to look under neath, but no evidence of crispy sills or rot on the sub frame.

Tom said he was in no hurry to sell and will be out of the country for a while anyway - He has given me time to ask you your thoughts and work out my finances.

I need your help next ! If i remember anything further - I will post. Fundamentally, I have bought Porsches in worse condition and driven them back from Sheffield and spent years restoring them, using parts from ebay and forums. This doesnt scare me. However, the rust could be worse underneath and the warning indicator in the dash and clutch are scary.

Any help appreciated.

Steve H - You have PM.

Comment

Amber warning for coolant? Ive never seen an amber one. I would guess its just low level though with the rad leak the culprit. Smell of oil is most likely perished oil breather pipes. Drivers side carpet being wet will most likely be door seals.
                            Parcel shelf does not lift with boot lid it has to be lifted and is on heavy duty springs so it stays there. The tub in the corner is a storage container not a drip tray although many coupes do leak into the boot via the light clusters.
                            As for the clutch the pedals are heavy when compared to an A4 although not as heavy as you describe. I would suggest that either the mechanism is sticking from standing. I believe there was a problem with damge to the master cylinder? Although someone with an ABY maybe able to shed more light on this. The carbon trim is actually carbon by the way not plastic. I paid 3k for mine and have spent 6-7k although some of this is my choice/OCD. To start with 2.5k or less is good.

Comment

Do you really mean spark plug lead ? ABY will be coil pack with an aluminium cover on it saying 20v turbo. If it was a thick brown wire it will be an earth point so should clean up easily.

Comment

Thank Mm - I did say that I was a numpty when it came to oily bits.

It was one of the leads (5 off) that go to the top of the engine.
                                Near the oil filler cap here:

BTW - Should the rust worry me more than it is? I know that 944s are now being scrapped as the sills rot. new sills are big bucks mot for the part, but the labour. Anything to worry about here?

Comment

Working...
                                X