No announcement yet.

Hello S2 fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure sounds good which is a good start.

Mostly everything else sounds typical of a car that is unused and has been standing for a while.

Coolant level warning is not necessarily something to worry about but could be. I had this once as the car appeared to be using water. I thought it might be knackered head gasket but turned out the header tank was leaking and a new one for 30quid sorted it. Obviously it could be something worse but could also be a sketchy level sensor.

I think for a car that has been standing a while, it all sounds okish to me. It is obviously not a loved, cherished example, so you know that it will need a fair bit of attention but it sounds like the basics are in order and if the bodywork does not require too much, you have more to spend on getting the mechanicals working properly.

Oh, and the stock brakes on S2's are rubbish given the weight and capability of the car. An upgrade is basically imperative if you are going to use the power available on a regular basis and want to stop under your own steam rather than hitting a tree.

Good luck.

Comment

I have helped weld cills on a 944. In my opinion the coupes do not rust anywhere near as bad as 944's did/do

Comment

Thanks - Good to know.

I will take a day or so and put an offer into Tom. Im still worried about the clutch and water/temp warning light.

Comment

I think you should assume everything is worst case scenario and offset that against how much you want an S2. With these cars, you just accept they cost money to run and maintain. You could buy a near mint example with a decent brake upgrade and sound exhaust with no rust and then find the clutch or the box goes bang and then once you fix that, it starts using loads of water ha ha. It is a fairly highly strung machine and even the late example one you are looking at is nearly 20yrs old.

There is no right or wrong. If you want one, just buy it and accept you might have days where you cannot afford to eat.

I would deffo get it up in the air or at least get on your back with a torch and check the underside. Rusting subframes and knackered fuel lines can be MOT failures which are costly to put right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rav View Post
            Thanks - Good to know.

I will take a day or so and put an offer into Tom. Im still worried about the clutch and water/temp warning light.

Mine does this at times and someone else on here has just changed their multi function temp switch and cured it so that's on my to do list for next week also.
            Stop over thinking the purchase, buy it and if it turns into a nightmare for you, and I doubt it will, there are ten members on here who will take it off your hands!
            1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

See this thread
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73898
              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

I used to get a red warning when my mfts crapped out, I believe the brass goes porous and coolant leeches into the switch. Pete at quattro corner was doing genuine ones for 45 quid. If you want an s2 and your initial budget is 2.5 k and its running and mot'd then it seems a good buy.
                As you have been warned they are expensive cars, im lucky as I do all my own work but it still costs something each month.
                However the forum is invaluable for info/parts and enthusiasm.
                I assume it will be a second car so you don't need to rush with it and spend the money as and when.

Comment

Thanks again for the help.

Yes, it will be my second car and the third Audi in the household.
                  I will make an offer mid week and see how i go. I will let you all know.

Comment

A few things from your description are confusing me.

Firstly yellow coolant warning - never seen this. Yellow warnings are non-critical. Coolant warning should be red.
                    Secondly you mention plug leads - ABY does not have plug leads, do you mean the injector harness? Alternatively the car has been fitted with remote LS type coils perhaps.
                    Thirdly, you said the boot was vast. Are you sure it was a coupe you were looking at?

On the face of it, sounds like a good buy - I would buy it blind for £2.5k
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I was confused by those two points too Alex. I reckon the corrosion was on the harness earth on the rocker covDr.

Comment

Maybe it's the window fluid warning indicator ???

Comment

I offered £2750 today and the owner refused.
                          He has had chance over the last week or so to judge the price and now is looking for £5k +

I feel upset, but will continue my search.

Thanks for all those who responded.

Comment

Ha ha I'd only want 5k for mine and it's mint. He is dreaming I'm afraid

Comment

totally gutted. He had initially agreed that £2.5k was the ball park figure that i would offer.
                              I offered £2.7k today and he thinks that he maybe able to sell for more.

Comment

He can look for £5k+ but he will be looking for a while I think. Going on the pics and the writeup you gave, it is going to need a good going over and that is time and money. Like Steve says, his mint Black 3B for £5k would be a far wiser choice (although he would be mad to sell it)

Comment

Working...
                                X